327 vs. 350

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Ruthead, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Ruthead

Ruthead Member

As you'll see I know next to nothing about engines so bear with me. Got a GM crate 350 with Edelbrock performer intake and Brawler carb, headers and H-pipe. This is just a street car that I'd like it to raise the hairs on my arm when floored. Not a strip car. Runs ok now but not very exciting. Anyway have a neighbor that has a 327 that he says we can build for around $3k and have a very fun motor. My 350 is in good shape no known problems. My question to start with is what are the pro and cons of 327 vs 350. Useing the $3k figure will I be better off(happier) with dumping the money in the 350 or building the 327? By the way the 327 is running at the strip every Saturday and very dependable in a 69 Camaro. 6 sec 1/8th mile. Said we'd get al heads and different pistons intake and cam. That's about the extent of my knowledge on it. Hope this is enough info to start this discussion.
    Thanks for everyone's help on other topics you've helped on and looking forward to you all's thoughts on this.

2. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Old saying, there is no replacement for displacement. 350 is the better engine choice every time. Extra .23" stroke provides more torque and that means more excitement.

AJ_72, carhead22000 and tom3 like this.
  3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Your crate 350, if it's still relatively new, probably has more potential for what you want out of it. All else being equal, the 350 will have more seat of the pants torque for a street car. The 327 has excellent potential for power as many guys have proven, but you have to rev it higher to get there. And that means lower gears, higher stall converter (if you have an auto trans), and less streetable manners for starting, idle and cruise.
    3000 bucks can get you heads, cam, intake and headers that will really wake up your 350 and give you the power you want for the street without upsetting the street manners too much. The same 3000 on the 327 will require other changes to your car and driveability concessions. Piston change is probably because the compression is way up there (race gas) on the 327 for strip use.

4. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

383 for the win for about the same money.

Scott Sievers, carhead22000 and biker like this.
  5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

First we need to know what crate 350 you actually have? A base lo-po crate can be drastically improved for some less than $3k and have real good reliability. A head swap and camshaft upgrade would really wake it up. I've had several good running 327 engines - but hard to beat torque for a fun street engine.

HOGDADDY likes this.
  6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Yup, like said, all things being equal, the bigger cubes will make more power. Satisfaction with power is very subjective too...300hp is pretty weak to me when you have nearly 600. You need to decide what you will be content with...both engines would be great street cruisers. I would always lean to start off with the bigger cube engine. When it comes to a SBC, all the parts are the same, so in context it cost the same amount of money, but the bigger cubes will give you more bang for the buck. With that being said...I would also do the 383 if I was building an engine.

BTW...I call BS on the 6 sec 1/8th 327, unless it really just dies after that. It would take a hell of a lot to get a N/A 327 to be a high 9-low 10 sec engine.

AJ_72 and carhead22000 like this.
  7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Rice grinder engines make power and they are not big cubed. Just saying for a friend.

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Depends on what it's in too. Consider a 6.9 et (that's a 6 second machine in the BS section) in a Vega: Your Flywheel HP is 461
    computed from your vehicle weight of 3000 pounds and ET of 6.9 seconds

G72Zed likes this.
  9. biker

biker Veteran Member

Nobody can dispute that. Just search you tube quickly and you find dozens of 700-1000 hp Honda 4 cylinder builds and 2000 hp V6's. But those are high rev, high boost and need to be treated like a grenade with the pin pulled. I wish I had a friend with one...I'd love to be in one for a run.

However, in the context of the OP, the streetable torque he wants needs to come in at low rpm and that usually means the more cubic inches, the better. And cheaper.

AJ_72, T/A Tom and xten like this.
  10. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

keep in mind all things being equal.yes a rice grinder can make power,anything can.its comes at a way more higher price and way less dependability.chevy power forever!!!!...