$34,000 1981 Camaro?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Dirt Reynolds, Feb 16, 2013.

1. rockheadrocks

rockheadrocks Veteran Member

I like how he says it has all options, but doesn't have T-tops or N90s. Laughed out loud when he said "1 of 2 and the only one with all options". Those cars are actually not that uncommon up here in the Great White North. Also, the odometer shows 14,000 km, so about 8700 miles. I'm betting the car actually has 114,000 km or about 87,000 miles. Nice interior, Delco ETR radio, but terrible panel alignment and the rear bumper seems a bit faded.

Did you see the 70 pro touring car he has up for $125K? Or the "unrestored" 78Z with 1970 LT1 chrome top air cleaner? He claims that one has the factory original L82. I find the '69 L78/L89 car to be questionable at best. I don't know as much about 1st gens, but isn't that a '68 SS hood?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

In the late 80's early 90's someone asked a bunch of money for a 70-73 and people laughed. Now, people are paying out the nose for them wishing they bought that mint car that the guy was asking (then) ridiculous money for. That car will be worth something to someone and they'll buy it. It does not make them stupid nor does it make the seller a idiot. I've seen cars of all makes and models with crazy price tags on them but if they sell then, well, that is what they are worth. I'm not surprised though, this site has a reputation for people picking apart a car that they could'nt every buy instead of pointing out that it is a very nice example of the last of the 2nd Gen Camaros. I hope someone gets the car and puts it up so when the shift to this body style gets popular there will be good cars to look back at instead of looking at endless threads about who is right and who is wrong about something as stupid as the right color of a bolt. I recently sold my 80 rally sport for $6500. Nothing special about the car but the guy liked the way it looked, ran, drove and it was rust free so it was worth it to him. Would I have paid $6500 for it? I doubt it, I threw out a number and it sold so apparently he thought it was worth it too seeing that there were no other 80 rally sport camaros out for sale at that time. Does that mean that all 80 rally sport camaros are worth that? Nope. And yep, these cars are not all that uncommon but they are when they are in as good of shape as this one is. There will be a shift one day. People still clammer of the first gens but that love affair is dying and people are moving towards the second gens and that will too lose its luster and a different crowd will come in and these cars will be popular.

3. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If I remember right my built sheet said it was built in California.

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

its a siren for the alarm system . common thing back in the day . it usually wore the battery down pretty quick

5. rockheadrocks

rockheadrocks Veteran Member

Yes, built in Cali for export to Canada. The '81 4 speeds were not CA emissions compliant.

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

they weren't even federal ( all 50 States ) compliant

7. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That is NOT a $34K underhood picture ....................... :rolleyes:

8. cam7985

cam7985 Member

Well said, Damon23

9. Z27LS3

Z27LS3 Veteran Member

IF thats the case seller must be bummed.
    I'll keep my money with the 70-72 models.

10. Ghostof76

Ghostof76 Veteran Member

Devonshire N.Wilmington,De. Hot Rods to Hell (East
    For that money I would expect a 10 second car, Well at least 11:screwup: