350 from a GMC B-Series Bus

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by joel.hunter, Nov 20, 2015.

1. joel.hunter

joel.hunter Veteran Member

Hi,

I recently bought an '81 Camaro. The previous owner had the 267 blow up, so he stuck a 350 in there from an old bus, after converting it from propane. The car is automatic and the nearest place I could get it to a dyno is a $70 ferry each way. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what kind of power this engine makes, out of curiosity. The engine code is unreadable for the most part. Painted over a couple times and there's no chance of reading it now. :bowtie:

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

First, welcome to NastyZ. :)

No, there's no way of knowing what kind of power that engine has without specifics like cam, heads, intake, carb, etc. And I think you're wasting money by taking it to a dyno shop. One positive thing, being a bus/truck engine, it's likely a 4 bolt main and a good foundation to build on.

3. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

I'd guess it's probably very similar to a standard pickup truck engine of that vintage- probably rated around 180-190 HP, give or take. Most of those HD 350s have big fat 3/8" valve stems (on the exhaust side), possibly rotator-retainers on both intake and exhaust sides and other minor nitnoid detail differences here and there. I don't think HD 350s used 4-ring pistons like HD big blocks did, but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, nothing that is likely to cause you much trouble but not suitable for high RPM use in it's stock configuration.

But at it's core it's probably still 4-bolt main dish-piston 350. A good engine to start with for performance upgrades.

4. joel.hunter

It's a four bolt, yeah. New top end, summit 600cfm street/strip carb, lots of shiny new things. Don't have a tach but doesn't rev very high for sure. Not looking to get huge performance. Just curious about it.

And thanks, I've been lurking far too much for the last few days, absorbing information :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  5. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

150 hp is pushing it.

It's a good motor to build. trash the stock heads and get anything American aluminum no chinese.

6. joel.hunter

What do you guys recommend for half decent seat of the pants performance? Engine wise - 3.27 posi gears are on the list, as well as a Muncie M21 (far in the future).

7. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Just get the edelbrock top end package and be done with it.

In propane form that motor may have made 140-160hp that's it. If you go 4 speed go 3.73 gear.

8. joel.hunter

I'd like 3.73s but I'd like to keep some highway legs on her and I can't afford an overdrive tranny. 3.27s should be fine for a daily, I think. Not as hard on the wallet for gas.

9. VIZ28

VIZ28 Veteran Member

Welcome to Nasty Z, fellow islander.
    I believe there is a dyno in Victoria, at least there used to be.

10. joel.hunter

Ah, really? There's a 4x4 dyno up here but I called and they won't do autos apparently. Perhaps when the car's back together I'll call them and see if they'll do an auto. Not super important but I love numbers and stats and I'd like to know.