355 not quite what I was expecting

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Lewis82871, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Lewis82871

Lewis82871 New Member

Ok so I went back to look & I believe these are hypereutectic pistons

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Head chamber cc will effect compression, runner size will not. Dish relief sounds like jobber pistons. Do you, or can you get a brand and part number from the machine shop?

3. Lewis82871

Lewis82871 New Member

I'll try my best !!!

4. Lewis82871

Lewis82871 New Member

Called machine shop,he says they are the hypereutectic' with 4 dish relief's which after I went back to look at my build pics I saw that for myself ( duh ) & according to him with these Pistons & cc on the heads I should be at 10:1 or 10.5:1,he also said my biggest issue would be the tranny & it would be beneficial to swap it out with a 350,I know I can swap a 350 out with a 9'tail & I don't have to move crossmember

5. Lewis82871

Lewis82871 New Member

Pistons are Silvolite's

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You're saying you have a 4L60E - do you have a stand alone controller for this transmission?

7. MyBoTy

MyBoTy Veteran Member

True flat tops with 4VR are 10.1:1 with 64cc heads, zero decked with .040 gasket. If you have the builder pistons, they have a dish in addition to the valve reliefs and may be well down from zero deck.

8. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

I get what your builder was shooting for. A cheap route to exceed 1 HP per cubic inch. Maybe 400-425-ish, depending on how good the heads are. And I can't see any reason why that combination shouldn't give you just that.

Converter stall is too low. That cam isn't going to do much below about 3000 RPMs. But once it's over that point and comes "on cam" it should lay you back in the seat pretty good.

Sounds like you've got bigger problems than just a soft launch, though. Sounds like what you're saying is that it feels weak everywhere.

I mean, it could be a hundred different things from the tune to a converter problem to something as simple as the gas pedal not getting the carb to full WOT. I could build you a list but it would be a VERY long list.

9. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

the 4l60E trans is not the problem that a 350 trans would fix. something else

Michael

10. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I suggest a 3000 stall for that cam in a smaller SBC.

Your mileage is way low. Is it running super rich? Pull a plug and see if it is wet. Carb and linkage may need adjustment. May not be WOT when pedal is on the floor. A 700DP would work well on your motor. Check your jetting.

Check your timing. Start at about 8-10degrees ADV at idle and 34-36 total (all in) by 3000RPM.

Just some basic stuff to look at.