355 or 383??

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by JWZ28, May 5, 2011.

1. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

I was gonna build a pretty gnarly 355 (vortec heads, big cam, the works) but recently I've been looking at what it would take to build a 383 stroker. The price to build a 383 with some of the kits that are available now doesn't seem to be that much more, roughly $1000 give or take once all the engine work is done. I already have a virgin block (its about a 93 model block not sure if that matters) and my engine guy can do the block work necessary for the stroker for about $100 and build me some vortecs to go with it for about $300. I've seen the Eagle stroker kits for about $600 which isn't bad at all.

So here's the question for you stroker guys...is the power difference between a 355 and a 383 worth the price? I know there's a lot of variables when it comes to power, but I'm a big believer in "there's no replacement for displacement". What do yall think?? Thanks in advance!

2. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

If you have the coin for some AFR 195's I'd build the 383 - if you are stickin with Vortec heads then I'd go 355

3. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had the same dilemma and decided to build the 383 for basically the same money. Since you have a late model block, clearancing (sp?) is not a big deal at all. I bought the Skip White forged piston 383 kit for $900 and I could have gotten away with not grinding the block at all. I just got my cam, so I will have to report back to you about rod to cam clearance.

Here is a link to my ongoing build if you want to take a look at it.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212717

Fwiw, I would not recommend the pro-comp rods that im using for a real performance application. They are pretty poor quality Imo, but im just building a low rpm truck motor.

4. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Desmo - whats the reason for not using vortecs? Thanks

sooner - my engine guy recommended using the complete crank, rod, and piston kit from Eagle....do you know anything about it? He's been a good friend for a long time and seems to think the Eagle kit would be just fine. Thanks

5. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The eagle kit will be as good or better than anything else out there in the same price range Imo. Im sure it would work great for you.

6. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

IMO, its a waste to build a 383 and put small heads on it unless you are building a tow truck engine

On a 383 you will make 380hp with vortecs or 450hp with AFR 195's:cool:

7. CMitchell

CMitchell Veteran Member

Where did you come up with these numbers?

8. Led Zep

Led Zep Veteran Member

On a 383 you will make 380hp with vortecs or 450hp with AFR 195's:cool:[/QUOTE]

I was making that HP on a 355 vortec motor 10 years ago.Good friend of mine was running 12.50's on a Vortec 383 with a Comp 270H cam in a 3G Camaro.Vortecs are limited,but 400 HP is pretty easy with the right cam.

9. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

I was making that HP on a 355 vortec motor 10 years ago.Good friend of mine was running 12.50's on a Vortec 383 with a Comp 270H cam in a 3G Camaro.Vortecs are limited,but 400 HP is pretty easy with the right cam.[/QUOTE]

this is what I was thinking....my engine guy can set up the vortecs to handle whatever cam I want for $300...a deal IMHO....I may ask him if there's a better head combo I can use and see what kind of deal he can work for me

10. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

GMPP HT 383 crate engine. Its 9:1 CR with Vortec heads and a small hyd roller cam. It makes 340hp @ 4500rpm. Good truck motor. Add a bigger cam and you are approaching 380 hp.

Any well built hyd roller 383 with AFR 195cc heads is making 450hp/475tq - why would you give up a solid 50-60 hp/tq by using Vortecs?