383 cam selection

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Brad Burris, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

God that sound is music to my ears.

muscl car likes this.
  2. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

OP BB
    do you really want a roller cam ground on a cast iron core? That IS what most of the more affordable rollers are; including Howards. Why do that when you CAN get a USA Steel Billet roller for even $ less? If you know where to look ... All under $250 ... here ...

https://www.summitracing.com/search...=part-type&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

take a look at 8803. All Four are on 112 LSA, are made in USA, are Steel Billet & are step-nose.

I like a shorter LSA myself, but the above are a great value for their intended apps.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just asking - are Howard's cams not a quality product, made in USA?

4. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Howard’s has several different cores. Their solid rollers are steel billet made and ground in USA. They will build them to a custom spec , including step nose if you prefer, or you can buy off the shelf grinds. I ordered mine with the steel billet core and the everwear gear (melonized) so I can run an everwear distributor gear, or bronze or composite.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just know that I've ran several Howard's HR cams in the past few years, never a failure on the cam. I tossed a retro fit roller out of the hole, they sent me a complete new set of lifters and cam. Likely my fault though, too many rpm's on the juice, had limit set on 6.8K. Drove it through the lights (1/8th) in 2nd.

sooner likes this.
  6. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

the cheaper howards rollers are on cast cores; many others brands likewise. OP mentioned howards; I answered. Not an attack on howards. It's that I think a steel billet core is better than a cast core. I found billet steel alternative at a good price. YMMV

jthomas likes this.
  7. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Ask Chad what his thoughts would be for a cam.

8. Brad Burris

Brad Burris New Member

Sorry for the delay. Found out my dog has bone cancer in her right rear leg. Don’t if it has metastasized yet. Full grown German Shepherd. I have been a mess. When one starts a thread you should stay with it. And I apologize. I called Chad he mentioned a Howard’s cam on a similar if not identical engine. It made 647 hp. But it was a solid roller. More cam than I need on a street cruiser. So I called Howard’s. Howard’s called Chad. They came up with a cam. On 110. So than Kirk at Howard’s said maybe you should do the same cam on 112. The 110 is available NOW from Summit. 4 week’s minimum on 112. That’s it in a nut shell. I may just wait. But my current cam is 110. So? I was just worried about power brakes. That’s it. Thanks to all I know everyone is trying to help.

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

First off, sorry about your dog, and no need to apologize, hope he/she will be ok.

If your power brakes, I would go with the 112 LSA.

10. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Same issue with a Lunati cam I want on a 112 instead of a 110. Was told new blanks are 4 or so weeks out.