383 cost from a machine shop vs crate engine.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by ProjectCam76, Aug 18, 2015.

1. ProjectCam76

ProjectCam76 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I appreciate all the responses! Some good info for me to think about.

2. jasong

jasong Veteran Member

I would say it depends on if you have the block already or not

3. orkin

orkin Veteran Member

if you are unhappy with the options for a crate motor, you could get a short block and use whatever top end you want.

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Read the warranty very closely on those crate engines. Most will have a clause somewhere that the engine must be installed by a "licensed repair facility" or something similar. We put an ATK engine in my son's Jeep, cam chain tensioner was broke, hasd a used camshaft, cheap gaskets. Actually running fine at this point though. But read that warranty.

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I'd like this deal, but sometimes a complete crate engine is about the same price as a shortblock due to volume sales.

6. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

Probably quite a few options. I'd say whatever you do, but a short block that's either set up for a roller cam or already has one.

Also, I'd contact Mike Lewis at http://www.lewisracingengines.com Mike builds awesome motors and will spec it just for your car. I had him build a 420 SBC (based on a Dart SHP block) for me and even with shipping, it was about the same price as a crate 427 SBC would have been, but with Mike I got the cam, compression, heads, and intake I wanted...the components were better than a comparably priced crate motor too boot!

This was not a cheap motor, but he has very competitive prices.

7. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

8. Marv D

Marv D Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Devils own training ground,,, aka Arizona

And don't that alone just make you wonder......

Buying in bulk is only going to save you so much over buying a few at a time like your local machine shop,, Jobbers don't get any 'great' break in price. So where are they cutting corners / costs?????

It can be an ordeal finding a local automotive machine shop that is reputable and does quality work. But once you do,,, do everything you can to help the guy stay in business. They are worth your loyalty. It's pretty tough to keep a couple million dollars in quality machines and competent machinist around when your competing with these low-buck mas-produced crate motors full of un-named parts and pieces (not slamming anyone crate,, just saying lots of corners have to be cut somewhere to sell these things for 'cost' of quality parts to build the same motor)

In the end guys,, all you can do is hope you get what you pay for.

9. Philly

Philly Veteran Member

By the time its all together, Carb, intake, wires, plugs, headers, water pump, distributer, fan, pulleys, balancer.. etc etc..its easily $5000 if not more. I built my BBC for about the same all myself with a reputable machinist and thier costs included..Quality parts and cast 781 heads which i had redone as well. I dont understand why the sell them like that, no matter what, theres only so much you can do with that cam, compression ratio, and heads anyways. Why not just finish the motor and sell it as its supposed to be...leave the guesswork out of it and list all the parts... I never understood that. I find it financially misleading.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  10. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Did you meet him?
    Class act that Wolfie!