383 crank woodruff keyway damaged

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 71camaro383, Jan 21, 2014.

1. 71camaro383

71camaro383 Veteran Member

Balancer sleeve was split and moving on crank and key way is damaged. 383 external balanced. Bought a new balancer today. Question is I don't want to pull the crank and/or repair the crank as if the repair fails it will start this process over. Questions is do I need a woodruff key when i install my new balancer as its too wallered out for a new one. It doesn't actually keep the balancer from spinning correct as the balancer is a pressfit. I don't need to worry about timing etc as it already is. The woodruff is really only for li in up the marks? I was told to run some epoxy on the crank for extra grab then tighten down the balancer and try to eye align the tabs. Thoughts on this?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When the balancer sheared the key off....did it damage the crank to the point where it won't hold another woodruff key?

I had an 305 engine that did this once because the last guy that had the car put a timing chain on and he didn't tighten the balancer down all the way. The balancer walked a little and then spun on the crank. I put a new key in the remainder of the slot, and installed a new balancer and bolt. 60 pds. When I put the key in I put a little JB Weld in the damaged gouge in the crank right next to the key. Saded it smooth and then installed the balancer. Ran this way for 5 years till I sold it. Monte Carlo SS

BTW the inside of the balancer was damaged from when the key sheared. That's why I replaced it.

3. 71camaro383

4. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

For a stock-ish application, no. The press-fit (and the retaining bolt) will hold it on and mostly keep it from spinning. Your timing marks won't be exactly right, and the engine's balance also won't be exactly right. I also wouldn't be testing out redline on a regular basis with things in this state. We're into the VERY ghetto end of the repair spectrum here, but yeah, it'll work to get it running again.

5. 71camaro383

Thanks. I know its not the best option but tools etc are all in storage so my tools are limited. Thought about doing this and just taking it easy on it. A new 406 is in the near future.

6. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

The woodruff slot is damaged and wollerd out so a new key is too loose to stay put.
    Only one way should be damaged. the opposite wall should be ok. So as the "Ghetto" repair was made by Kenny seemed to work well for him, you might try it yourself. Be patient and let the JB Weld dry, and get the one for steel repair. Set the key in and build up the other side, let it dry and sand off the excess.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is this an externally balanced crank kit? If so, and the balancer slips on the crank snout, you'll know it pretty soon. As for no key, Chevy made thousands of sbc's without a keyed fitting when they first started back in '55, but these were internally balanced.

8. CNC BLOCKS

CNC BLOCKS Veteran Member

Was the hub split I have seen some Eagle cast cranks where you could slide the balancer on by hand. Is this what caused the problem?

9. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What I had was most of the gouging was on the inside of the balancer. The woodruff key DID kinda disintegrate..... and I still had a halfway decent slot left to hold the new key in the crank. One side of the slot was perfect. the other side was gouged out pretty good. That's where I filled and sanded JB weld. Together with the NEW balancer it worked great. Go get a new key . Lowes has them

Since then I've talked to only one other person that's had this happen and he said the new balancer is why it worked because he tried to use the old damaged one at first.... and it spun again.

Ghetto yeah man....Monte Carlo SS White Trash for sure

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  10. 71camaro383

Thanks for the replies. I went the jb weld route with a new key. Its been curing since Sunday and I hope to finish the sanding around the rough areas and have the balancer back on by this Sunday.