383 stroker timing issue holley efi

8pack

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 29, 2007
Western, MA
I have the sniper and the best thing I did was buy the sniper Hall effect distributor so you can control the timing from the fuel injection. It is super easy to set up.

It sounds to me that if you have it at 0* then it is not a timing issue and may be a set up or install issue on the Sniper EFI.

I highly recommend walking through the install from scratch again including all your fuel line hook ups and wiring. These systems are pretty straightforward and should fire right up. You are missing spark or air and more than likely it sounds like spark.

It’s somewhere in the set up of the EFI is my bet.

All the advice here is outstanding but some assumes you have your install correct to start with which may not be the case.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Most issues guys have with the ProFlo 4 are install errors, very seldom an issue with the system itself. Echoing 8pack; Read and re-read the install procedures, follow Bikers post on setting up the distributor.

MN70RSZ28

Sep 3, 2008
Hawley, MN
I just ran into a similar issue setting up my Holley Sniper system a few weeks ago. Make sure you have the 12v switched wire for the Sniper system hooked up to a source that keeps supplying 12v during the cranking cycle. I thought I had done that, but had issues like you described, and then realized my 12v source was dropping off during cranking cycle. I tapped into the reverse taillights 12v source and it fired right up. Good luck.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
I just ran into a similar issue setting up my Holley Sniper system a few weeks ago. Make sure you have the 12v switched wire for the Sniper system hooked up to a source that keeps supplying 12v during the cranking cycle. I thought I had done that, but had issues like you described, and then realized my 12v source was dropping off during cranking cycle. I tapped into the reverse taillights 12v source and it fired right up. Good luck.
As a quick test, you can run the ignition wire direct to the battery, you'll just have to disconnect it to shut the engine off.

Barra8.5

Dec 17, 2020
Hello guys. So i rechecked my timing set it at 0*deeg on tdc with the distributor pointing at number 1 cylinder on the compression stroke. Took some pictures can someone reassure im correct so far?

Attachments

• 3B89BA68-0BEE-45F3-86B5-16E43E2B6616.jpeg
    3B89BA68-0BEE-45F3-86B5-16E43E2B6616.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 5FB7F670-AA60-49CC-8B5F-2A323363C427.jpeg
    5FB7F670-AA60-49CC-8B5F-2A323363C427.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 47668B44-23E4-4C12-A2E9-5689562FBA87.jpeg
    47668B44-23E4-4C12-A2E9-5689562FBA87.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 36

Barra8.5

Dec 17, 2020
Hello guys. So i rechecked my timing set it at 0*deeg on tdc with the distributor pointing at number 1 cylinder on the compression stroke. Took some pictures can someone reassure im correct so far?
First picture i did re aline the line to 0 i must have not taken the pic with it aligned sorry

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
One other thing you could do is join the Sniper tech forum on the Holley site. I joined years ago just to learn about it. There are lots of smart mods and owners with a ton of experience. I'm sure they would figure it out quick.

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
Reading through this, did it ever run with the sniper system with a previous distributor? If so, you may have a defective distributor. Are you sure you bought a distributor that doesn't require an ignition box?

If your plugs are getting wet from fuel, it sounds like you're getting fuel, hold the throttle to the floor and see if it even tries to start(think flooded carb).

Barra8.5

Dec 17, 2020
Reading through this, did it ever run with the sniper system with a previous distributor? If so, you may have a defective distributor. Are you sure you bought a distributor that doesn't require an ignition box?

If your plugs are getting wet from fuel, it sounds like you're getting fuel, hold the throttle to the floor and see if it even tries to start(think flooded carb).
Yess it ran before but once they returned it to me the orginally hei distributor went out and i had to buy another hei distributor from summit. Going to call the tech line and see if i can trouble shoot to make sure the Ecu didnt go bad on me (recently saw a video and the guy had the same issue as me)

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
Yess it ran before but once they returned it to me the orginally hei distributor went out and i had to buy another hei distributor from summit. Going to call the tech line and see if i can trouble shoot to make sure the Ecu didnt go bad on me (recently saw a video and the guy had the same issue as me)
OH you had the holley system go bad and had to be sent in for repairs?