383 stroker timing/performance and temperature

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by erhan ergin, Apr 25, 2020.

1. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Look at a few YouTube videos just using vacuum gauge to adjust for proper carburetor adjustment there is a kid thunder289 or something like that, he has a couple of great videos

2. erhan ergin

erhan ergin Veteran Member

Yeah I watched all his videos. He is suggesting to use a AFR gauge as well.

3. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well the AFR gauge is sure handy, as it will let you know things are wrong, however, it will not help figure it out, also besure if you go that route, to get the ones with the better O2 sensor , and when I finally bite that bullet, I would think the double sensor would be the ticket.

4. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I went with a AEM sensor. I admittedly had an issue with it, but they stood behind their product, and am a happy customer. I agree with getting the better O2 sensor version...it updates a lot faster, and zero's out automatically. I wanted double sensors as well, but was cost prohibitive in my case. I did put bungs on both collectors though. Once I got one side dialed in, I switched it to the other side. I saw no difference, which was a pleasant find, (and if all is right with the world, should be anyhow). Word of caution...if you have OCD like me...don't try to get them perfect...especially if you have a cam in it. You'll lose a lot of time for very little gains. Carbs are an average, and will change with the seasons as well. Don't kill yourself over it. I tuned during the season that I mostly drive in.

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

Did you get your new vacuum can in yet? You said the other can made no difference hooked or unhooked... maybe it wasn't working and could be source of a vac leak? Hook your new can up to full manifold vacuum, it will help with your idle. 17* initial is good for a lumpy cam, 37 total is good too. Sounds like you are closing in on it!

carhead22000 likes this.
  6. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

I used to run a propane torch around carb and intake to help locating vacuum leaks.. off of course. When your near a leak your car will rev up. Checking valves is another good idea.already mentioned.i,m saying vacuum leak somewhere..just because of the idle.

biker likes this.
  7. erhan ergin

Sorry for delayed response;
    I have an adjustable vacuum can, however I am not able to get the timing dialed with it so I gave up on it. I just plugged the vacuum on the carb and dialed up the initial timing. I am running 26 degrees initial advance. This helps idle quite a bit and raises the vacuum about 1 in. I have the mechanical advance limited to 16 degrees so I get total timing of 42 degrees at around 2800 rpm.
    Idle vacuum is 7Hg range and it jumps around a bit. I looked for vacuum leaks but so far nothing.
    I was trying to see if timing was impacting temps but it did not seem to make a noticeable difference. The car is running rich and I get about 100 miles on a single tank using premium gas.
    I am going to spend a bit more time on the brawler carb but if I cannot improve it I think I will put a Holley Sniper or some similar Fi system. I think AFR gauge setup would help tune the carb but spending ~ $400 for a dual AFR setup vs getting a Fi for about $1200 I think the Fi wins. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

8. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You only need a single AFR gauge to tune with. If one bank is that far off from the other, then you have other issues to deal with. This can be bought for about $200.

G72Zed likes this.
  9. erhan ergin

I was looking at the single gauge setup but someone here suggested the dual systems. I can buy a single setup for about $170 I know that.

10. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Veteran Member

Best tuning tool I ever bought was a single AFR gauge. Adding that gauge and a lil reading online and I can get in the ball park of a very good carb setup. Pulled a plug yesterday and still running really good -a light gray. It will teach one about the effects of Tuning the idle circuit, the pump shot, running on the main jets, running all out. Cleared up a lot of guessing with the carb.

[email protected] and G72Zed like this.