383 stroker timing/performance and temperature

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by erhan ergin, Apr 25, 2020.

1. erhan ergin

erhan ergin Veteran Member

I agree that without AFR gouge you are pretty much blind. Especially as the conditions change. However, I think a fuel injection setup will adjust based on sensor reading continuously. With AFR you have to thinker as the conditions change. I guess half the fun is there depending on who you ask :)

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Back in the day you had to learn how to "read" plugs, and given the damage one could encounter with the wrong Carb/Jetting and timing out of the gate, you learnt real fast, or your spending lot's a money $$ and time tearing stuff down.

I'm glad I started there, it makes today a breeze with what's available, no more guess work (to a point), in car or on the dyno. You really only need 1 AFR gauge.

FWIW I drive my car from 100F (38c) in hot humid summer to late fall, even into December as long as it's 41F (5c) or over, and no salt on the roads of course. I could do 1 jet change, and most times I don't, once a "good carb" is setup, your not changing stuff around much.

I provided some insight in post #35, and in reading into your issue, I'll be straight up, I have worked on dozens & dozens of these "Avenger / Ultra / Brawler carbs.....shiny aluminum, with all the options....a few were OK, most were not, and most are down right a POS. They all "look" good, and the same, but they are not.

My advice, before you go EFI, if possible, ask a friend/buddy or serious car dude you know with a well tuned and running car/engine with a Holley carb, ask to borrow it, just to see, you may be shocked at the difference. If it's an older Zinc Holley that looks dull and grey, all the better LOL.

3. erhan ergin

I have a 72 F100 with a Holley and a 302. Runs great and have no complaints. I get 15 miles per gallon on regular gas all day. Just need to warm it a bit in cold weather. I am not sure my issues are due to the POS Brawler or just some vacuum leak under the intake or just a badly matched Cam with too much duration and a slow head. Very likely it is the Cam and the car is not streetable with this cam. I unfortunately have no detail on the engine or the cam. BTW Brawler is made by Holley, their cheaper line I think.

4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I work/tune on some healthy street/race engines, big cams and big heads and the like, I'm very familiar with the "Avenger-Brawler" line, the street that shows up with Holley's "cheap" line of aluminum shiny carbs actually come off eventually... the race stuff, not even a question.

Perhaps you could try the F100's Holley to see how it runs.

5. erhan ergin

Unfortunatelly holley on the 302 is a 2 barrel 350CFM, will not work on the stroker :(
    I will thinker on the brawler a bit more most likely. I changed the power valve already due to the low vacuum and adjusted the idle circuit squared the transition passage. I adjusted the float. I probably need to look at the jets and see if they need changed. BTW the car idles and runs OK, just very rich and gas mileage is just terrible. I would be happy with 10mpg. Low end torque is also bad. Power brakes are terrible again due to low vacuum even with a vacuum canister. I will add an electric vacuum pump to address that.

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

That was the main complaints on the Ultra/Brawlers I have done, running around on part throttle/cruise washing/killing the bores with fueled up oil, not a good thing. The IFR are suspect, E pak is weird, channels don't line up, and even though the transfer slots are even, most are not machined at the same width or depth, that just tosses out the individual barrel balance right there....

I get 20+ MPG in my Z, the old 5, or the new 6spd, big 210cc heads on a 360 SBC, and [email protected] .050 cam and big open intake. I have 11hg at 1,000rpm and makes 540HP. Weather I use the Holley 650 or 750HP (Zinc) make no difference. I have sold my last 1/2 dozen "old Holley" to guys that had the "Avenger/Brawler" on their rides.....the batting average is not good.

Maybe I just seem to get the Summit returns/cheapo's or blems....

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

8. erhan ergin

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Try some ngk spark plugs in it which read better. You won’t get a tan color with ethanol mix gas, more of a grayish. Air fuel are nice but reading plugs is better, especially with a magnifying glass . When you see tiny round gray specs somethings melting, too lean....get to where car runs good then use the a/f readings as a base for your car.

10. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here is the same setup from Summit cheaper, and free shipping
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...0RfUYi0jqIch6MEKRfLIl15lath5v-ahoC5_gQAvD_BwE