396 BBC Filter Adapter

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by SUPERSONICBLUE70, May 20, 2020.

1. SUPERSONICBLUE70

SUPERSONICBLUE70 Veteran Member

I am helping my Father In Law on his 396 BBC, which he believes is a 1967.

I am trying to replace the Canister Style filter with the new style spin on. I have been reading info since Saturday Afternoon, and I havent really found any answers.

So Far, this is pretty much the only thing I can come up with:
    https://www.hedman.com/product-detail/1024

I havent torn the old one off yet, because I wasn't sure how long it would take me to find something, but I am trying to find someone that has used this and can tell me what they think

This kit comes with 1/4" bolts, and one of the threads I was reading said it could have 1/4" or 5/16" bolts in it.

The kit I have listed above, converts the filter to a Ford Style filter with an Internal ByPass

Thanks for any help,
    Corey

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Have you checked with Transdapt ?

3. SUPERSONICBLUE70

Yeah, I sent an email to there Tech Dept, and havent heard back. I would like to get something ordered and maybe have it for the weekend, but I don't think that is going to happen

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I see that Summit .Jegs and others list them .Maybe even Chevrolet might have them Just a thought.

5. SUPERSONICBLUE70

Yeah, I was just hoping to get some info from someone that may have put one together and what they thought of it. My worries are just making sure that I get all the Bypass pieces, or maintain the pieces that need to stay on. I just don't want to take a chance of starving the motor

6. 1320feet

1320feet Veteran Member

7. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

The kit that uses the Ford filter is what I use on my 1966 427. There is no bypass provision on the early blocks,all the oil goes thru the filter. I eliminate the bypass on all my performance engines anyway.

8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Just remember if you replace the canister filter with the spin on adapter and there is no bypass in it you can blow the oil filter seal out if the filter is not real tight, had it happen. Also don't beat on the engine cold as all the oil now has to flow through the full filter and the engine needs to be fully warm before getting on it.

9. SUPERSONICBLUE70

I ended up using the kit put up by 1320Feet!

It retains the factory bypass, but adds a landing spot for the Spin on Filter. I followed all the directions, and car fired up, and no leaks so far.

He used to drive the car quite a bit, but then lost interest once he bought a New Corvette, so the car has been sitting for Damn near 20 years with an occasional Start here and there. I am trying to get it Reliable to either have some fun with or sell!

Thanks for all the Help Guys!

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

What no Pic's? What kind of car are you working on. Would like to see the work you did. All very interesting to me.