4" dash speakers; PICS

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Shields, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

I had my gauge cluster out to clean up the wiring and convinced myself to remove the 4x10 that was hanging on by the last 3 threads in the bracket, not a single spec of the paper cone remained after 30+ years of sun damage, it was seriously destroyed, I decided to make the bracket to house 2 4" speakers instead. The original speaker bracket ended up being to shallow and I knew the tweeters would hit the dash, so I built a completely new bracket from 3/4 mdf, the 3/4 mdf was overkill but I had it lying around the garage, here are the pics

[​IMG]

Getting the spacing between the bracket and the speaker frame so that the frame would sit tight against the dash took some math but it worked out pretty well
    [​IMG]

I was a little skeptic as to how long these speakers would last in the sun so I stole some of my moms pantyhose (LOL) and stretched it over the frame, thanks a board member for the idea lol, probably could have painted the frame black but you cant see it anyways

[​IMG]

it bolted right up, I put 3 layers of 1/8 adhesive foam around the edges to kill the rattling, I had a fight to squish the speakers to the dash while I fumbled with the screw, but it doesn't move at all, no squeaks and no rattles.

[​IMG]

I wont get any separation from these kenwoods but I'm super happy I'll actually have some music coming from the dash rather than dust from the old 4x10, lemme know whatcha think!

2. saved1992

saved1992 Veteran Member

Looks great.

3. MartyO

MartyO Veteran Member

They look very good!

4. greaser

greaser Veteran Member

Nice job. I used an original speaker and cut out enough for two speakers to mount. Plus still had original foam spacer so didn't have any spacing issues. Picked up some dark gray thin fabric from hobby lobby.

5. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

Uhhhh . . . used panty hose. That's different.

Better than used whitey tighties, I guess. :screwup:

6. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

Hahaha they were brand new, had a $22 tag on them so hopefully she doesn't wring me neck

7. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

Yeah. I'd be careful. What's left of them could serve as a noose. LOL

8. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

if ya still got extra MDF maybe consider trying to make a speaker box around them? they look great and it looks like you have room to fit a small box around them. do research before making the box, but its an idea

9. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

I thought about ordering the GM cardboard enclosures and retrofitting them to fit the speakers, so I could isolate them from the underworld that exists under all of our dash pads, I'll keep the thread posted if I do decide to go with enclosures.

While we're on the subject of enclosures, you wouldn't happen to know if it's alright to leave my 6x9s without enclosures in the trunks with two subs would you?

10. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

that i would not know. i know about the box because i redid my trunk shelf with MDF and plan to install boxes on them. i dont know if itll help but its what i will do