4-relay power windows - Do it!

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Tokyo Torquer3, Nov 12, 2012.

1. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Butch your kit is on the way! I’ll PM you tracking info! This is a comprehensive auto down HD relay kit using your stock PW setup-very stout!

2. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

If anybody else is upgrading the stock power windows or doing a manual to power conversion, message me about possible options before buying an aftermarket hardware kit. The Electri-Life kits are good and you dont have to buy their harnesses-Nu-Relics however force you to buy theirs and are not even OEM quality and neither company offers integrated relay upgrades or auto down/up features.

3. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Can you PM me a price for a kit?

4. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

On March 1, I sent Jabin Wood, aka junkyardZ28find, aka HarnessWorx, aka numerous other usernames on numerous other sites, $189 for a harness kit. I didn't hear from him for a month. On April 1, I checked in with him to see if he was going to be able to deliver given the virus crisis. He assured me that my harness would ship very soon. After two weeks, I pinged him again. In the back and forth since then, he has repeatedly promised past or - when that proved incorrect - imminent shipment, and even gave me FedEx tracking, but that turned out to be for a shipment to another state - not to me. I've raised this with PayPal. Meanwhile my project is stalled, and I'm going to have to build the harness myself. I've asked him for my money back.

5. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

I received the harness.

There are no instructions or even a schematic, though the wires are labelled. The wire sizes and insulation thickness are inconsistent and the harness is taped with what seems to me to be black duct tape.

Jabin represented that his harness "plugs right in" to my NuRelics motors, but the door/motor wiring is not terminated and no plugs were provided.

The door boots are ridiculously huge - ID is close to 2" - and only mount with screws via a flange on the boot. Installing them would be challenging, at best.

The harness includes 4 GM modules that are each about 4 times the size of a normal relay. There is no ground going to them, so they cannot serve as the relays needed to avoid power going through the control switches. They are stamped with a GM part number, and my research indicates that they solely provide the "automatic" functionality. The harness' sole ground (outside of an ignition relay, which I do not need as I have a dedicated circuit on my AAW fuse box) is connected only to the switches. So power must go through the switches for the harness to work.

I initially contacted Jabin because I wanted to use some modern switches I have, which require relay control, and relay control is just the better way to go. I identified to Jabin the switches, and I even sent him a schematic for them. Jabin talked me into the automatic "upgrade." But what I received provides only the automatic functionality, so it is useless to me.

I raised several of these issues with Jabin, but he has not responded to my emails. I am proceeding with building my own relay control harness. I no longer care about automatic functionality, and seriously doubt I have room for those huge modules anyway.

6. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Tom, what is the number on the GM module??