4 Speed Shifter Restoration

THNDER

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 18, 2000
O'fallon, Mo
I attemtepted to rebuild my shifter myself, but after dissassemly, it was beyond me. I used a guy that flowjoe recomended, and he did an awsome job. Pete serio www.precisionpontiac.net
RESTOREDSHIFTER008.jpg
RESTOREDSHIFTER007.jpg

DCL70

Veteran Member
May 5, 2007
The South of N.H.
Mike,

What is the stamped date code (the first 3 digits of the 8 digit stamped on the right side near the slot)?

I know that Pete Serio does not believe that the factory installed Hurst shifters were date coded as per his book but I have a different opinion (see link below).

Also, what's up with the yellow washer? I have several factory Hurst shifters and have never seen one with the yellow washer.

Dave

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157641

Last edited:

CamarosRus

Veteran Member
Feb 16, 2000
Auburn,WA (between Sea & Tac)
Questions re: your shifter thread ?

1) Cost

2) Are the housing and other pieces ZINC plated or silver Paint (hard to tell in pic)

3) Was there a separate charge for chroming the handle (or is it ALL inclusive)

4) Do you know the best alternative for those with missing linkage pieces, and mounting/adapter bracket (that is Zinc Phosphate Plated)

THNDER

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 18, 2000
O'fallon, Mo
The number on the shifter is 0400422P, and Pete actually asked me if my car was an April build, which it is. The yellow that you see is not a washer ,but a sticker, which states to remove that bolt before assembly. It is clear zinc plated, the crome stick was included in the price of $400.00. The other linkage is not in the picture, because I replated that myself.

DCL70

Veteran Member
May 5, 2007
The South of N.H.
THNDER said:
The number on the shifter is 0400422P, and Pete actually asked me if my car was an April build, which it is.

Mike,

It's nice to hear that Pete is somewhat more open minded about the date codes on factory Hurst shifters.

Dave

flowjoe

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 7, 2006
SoCal
THNDER said:
I attemtepted to rebuild my shifter myself, but after dissassemly, it was beyond me. I used a guy that flowjoe recomended, and he did an awsome job. Pete serio www.precisionpontiac.net
RESTOREDSHIFTER008.jpg
RESTOREDSHIFTER007.jpg
It looks really good - I'm glad that worked out for you Mike. Pete is a great guy. I've purchased a number of things from him but never had him do a full resto (yet;) ).

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
I simply have to ask. Why does your shifter need to be restored? My shifter still works and shifts like new over 41 years after it was built. A shifter is made to shift, not look at.