4 Speed Shifter Restoration

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by THNDER, Sep 11, 2011.

1. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The OE shifter in my GTO still works like new also but that is the exception not the rule after 42 years Gary. Bushings and other things wear from use, oxidization happens (sometimes in the extreme). As Pete explained to me when talking to him about an OE '69 Camaro shifter I'd picked up. He could simply rebuild the shifter but often the process of cleaning, de-oxidizing and rebusing the shifter leaves raw, un-treated metal behind. Simplest solution is to just do what Hurst did and plate it - or re-plate it in this case. It's not about looks. It's about function and longevity. The looks are just icing on the cake.;)

2. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It sure does look nice Mike!
    I just sent mine off to 'Hurst Restoration Services' on Friday, I hope it turns out as nice as yours! The cost thru Hurst is $325. I was going to send it to Jerry MacNeish but he no longer restores them. He told me that he can no longer get the parts thru Hurst.

3. THNDER

THNDER Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hey Gary, the car this shifter is for is my L78, which I am attemting to do a concourse restoration on. The car has 125000 miles on it, and when I took the shifter apart for replating, there were items worn and broken that I could not get. So I called Pete, and decided to just let him do it, and I am glad I did, he did a great job. He also bench test the shifters when he is done. He will also just do a rebuild for funtion, if you are not interested in how it looks.:D Mike

4. DarrenX33

DarrenX33 Veteran Member

Looks great Mike.

FYI- They are pretty simple to rebuild, with the trickiest part being reinstalling the spring. I did mine myself and it works and looks great.

5. owners2

owners2 Veteran Member

Joey Gray rebuilt & re-chromed my shifter. Looks awesome. Anyone ever need any assistance with something I will always suggest Joey as the go to man.

6. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

I was under the impression that the original finish was grey. Here's one from a 1971 z28 unrestored. Did they change the finish for 1971?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  7. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was under the impression that later Comp Plus OE shifters (as used in Firebirds) were black like that and that the early ones (Camaro or Firebird), up to '71 or '72, were Zinc like THNDER's came out.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  8. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Ruh-roh!...maybe it's Firebird after all.

9. DCL70

DCL70 Veteran Member

Hurst shifters up to May or June 1970 were cadmium plated. After that the plating was gray phosphate.

I suspect that your shifter is probably stamped "0800721C" (August 1970) since it has the dark gray phosphate finish. I can only read the last 6 digits in your photo and I am guessing on the "08" but it may be "07" or "09". The was a GM strike in the Fall of 1970 (about Sept. 14, 1970 to about November 20, 1970) so there not any 1971 Camaros made during this time period.

I have several 70-71 factory Hurst shifters and the ones with the dark gray phosphate plating are in much better condition (no rust) since the phosphate plating helped retain the grease on the metal.

Dave

10. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I ran a Hurst Competition Plus in my '64 Chevy II with a M20 or M21 (I had either of them in over that time), I used to pull the shifter out, disassemble it, clean it, put it back together, pack it with white lithium grease each spring. Last I knew it was still working on that transmission in a '68 Camaro.

My point is, if you maintain a Hurst Competition Plus shifter each spring, it will last for decades.

BTW, I bought that shifter from J C Penny for $69.95 in 1970 which was a lot of money back then! Now the same shifter is $200 more which is still a lot of money.

I also remember that it had a black oxide finish on it not a cadmium finish.