454/TH400 Good Deal?

ChevyReb

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
SC
I mean if it's in good shape its probably a good base start anyway. Cam change, pull heads and inspect everything, maybe new springs check valve job and heads/cylinder condition. I think he is wanting to put a strait track car together. I know and agree on parts and machine shop cost$! I can put one together that's not a problem and I have good help if I were to be stuck on anything different on BBC vs. SBC both local to me and you guys here. Thanks for the feedback on this one.

Also I would get a compression check and leakdown test done prior to purchase. Let me know anything else I should do other than that.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Yes, I agree with your thinking ChevyReb, as long as the parts are available that you are thinking of possibly changing, you will be fine going through it and getting it back together, it's just a BIG SBC for the most part.

I see more people fuke up leak down tests, and it can lie to you in some cases. Engines don't run in a static "pressure" state, be it TDC or BDC with valves closed.

Carb open, plugs out, with the engine and all components fully up to temp, I like cranking comp. tests as my #1 indicator, with a good known gauge, first pump noted, and final PSI as well can tell a lot.

But that's just my own view, many ways to skin this cat, but that's the easiest & quickest.

Mike N

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 13, 2002
Spencerport, NY.
Search "peanut port" on here. Some have got some pretty good numbers out of this combo..

I've got peanut ports on the 468 in my 79 Blazer. Perfect heads for a low rpm grunt motor application. Fwiw, this Blazer runs 16 second quarter mile times @ 85 mph with 2.0 second 60' times. And while that may not sound impressive, said Blazer stands nearly 9' tall and wears 44" Super Swampers.

image.jpg

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
I've got peanut ports on the 468 in my 79 Blazer. Perfect heads for a low rpm grunt motor application. Fwiw, this Blazer runs 16 second quarter mile times @ 85 mph with 2.0 second 60' times. And while that may not sound impressive, said Blazer stands nearly 9' tall and wears 44" Super Swampers.

View attachment 133024
Let's put my Peanut Port engine in that truck, bet it run high 13's.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
If it comes "carb to pan" and you can hear it run, and drive it.....it's a great deal IMO.

Fully agree with CorkyE and 1980RS, Crates have gone up, some hard to get, and if you truly added everything up, all small parts and quality machining, it's a killer deal.

I'm sorta in the business, many don't plan, and get shocked when all of it get's added up on a detailed and complete build quote....then they start "cutting" corners on parts and quality. Just my 2 pennies.

Pretty soon people will pay the same price as a pickup cost 10 years ago for a crate engine.

Mike N

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 13, 2002
Spencerport, NY.
Let's put my Peanut Port engine in that truck, bet it run high 13's.

That would be pretty crazy for a truck that size. Turning a 44" tire is no easy task, even with 4:88 gears.

We built a similar size 77 Blazer with a 500 cube Cadillac engine and that ran 15 flat in the 1/4 mile. That particular engine stuck it's tongue out at 4500 rpm, but it ripped your head off getting there.

72BIGBLOCK

Veteran Member
Feb 2, 2008
SF
So so deal a lot of big blocks and small blocks are going up for sale because a lot of people want to go LS or LT

there’s a guy here with a 454 for 2500 that’s been listed for months the bright side is you can hear yours run before you buy it and it has a trans

Bikefixr

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 2006
You can't rebuild an engine core for that nowadays. Even a decent used TH400 around here in NJ is $750. Engine cores are $700...so a working combo you can test and listen to for $3700? That's damn good IMO.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Pretty soon people will pay the same price as a pickup cost 10 years ago for a crate engine.

Yep, the 602 Crates were $3,800 way back, then kept going up, was 4,800 last year or so, now, because GM are now using a steel crank since last April, it's now 7,350 retail....

Did not need to go with a steel crank is a basic truck engine.

Latest posts