4l60e ?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by z28dug, Jun 6, 2014.

1. z28dug

z28dug Veteran Member

Asking here since I know some of you are familiar with this transmission.

My son has a 2000 Z/28. Car has 200k miles on it and the 3-4 clutch pack finally took a dump.

We swapped in another tranny that shifts wonderfully.......so long as you shift it manually. Put it in -D- and nothing happens. Put in 1st and it will accelerate just fine and will manually shift into 2nd and then drive. Come to a stop then you have to downshift to 1st and start the process again.

Since I have all the gears I'm assuming it is not in 'limp-in' mode. It is not throwing any codes so I'm not really sure where to start checking. I'm guessing something electrical but not sure where to start.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

The lack of trouble codes is perplexing. An open or short in an electrical circuit will set a code quickly. I'm surprised it hasn't set a performance or ratio error code.

I had a similar situation once when a local trans shop rebuilt a 4l60e and it didn't shift afterwords. I found they didn't fully insert the shift solenoids into the valve body. The retention clips were in the o-ring groove.

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Probably easier to pop open the one with the 3-4 clutch pack failure and remedy that.

There's tutorial video's on this, very easy to do.
    Just build yourself a vertical trans stand out of 2x4's , like the DSE Car dollies that I used.

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/Aceshigh22/media/Olds 442/TransMountforRebuild640x480.jpg.html

Parts are here with exploded diagrams. http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=General-Motors

Training video here (or ebay) http://video.boxwrench.net/transmission/General-Motors-4L60E.htm

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  4. z28dug

z28dug Veteran Member

All my other research seems to indicate a broken front sprag....would a broken front sprag throw a code?

Thanks.

5. z28dug

z28dug Veteran Member

I've rebuilt lots of engines and manual transmissions....never did an automatic.

Can you rebuild it with the tranny in a vertical position? I always thought there were a bunch of little check balls you needed to be concerned with.

Thanks.

6. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Valvebody on bottom when reinstalling it should be horizontal.
    You can still use the same car dolly , as it sits between a few 2x4s elevated.
    Can put the dolly on a table for that part if you like it higher

The rest of the internals it stands up vertically. :)
    Slickdeals just had a special on snap ring pliers too....