540 Big Block 81 Camaro build

Mike Busutil

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2010
Yuma Arizona
The driver and passenger doors were installed. Followed by the inner fenders and outer fenders getting cut in and painted then installed. This allowed us to set the proper gaps between the doors & fenders and ensure the core support was straight and properly aligned.

ppWeu24.jpg

6SowZdo.jpg

pqadQWY.jpg

45Qzy4f.jpg

6haeYmm.jpg

CrlaGDn.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Busutil

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2010
Yuma Arizona
The 3" cowl hood was then fit and aligned. Since it is fiberglass I had to use softer hood springs. (Photos are before the hood was bolted on and aligned)

7477dwM.jpg

Cugsnax.jpg

i9ZmQgi.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Busutil

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2010
Yuma Arizona
Today we completed running the brake lines to all four wheels and bled them. I also installed a new throttle linkage and will be installing the fuel line, fuel filter and fuel pump next.

I also ordered my new steering wheel which should be the last part required to actually drive the Camaro.

EuROk1b.jpg

Driven Steering Wheels

"The steering wheel connects the driver to the vehicle. Driven steering wheels specifically designed for Detroit Speed give you the performance and feel you desire while providing a modernized look that matches any interior. The wheels are 12.9" in diameter, lightweight, have a full suede grip, and a graphite indicator to let you know when you are centered. DSE uses these exclusively on
our Test Cars. You can find Driven steering wheels on winning Formula Cars, Touring Cars, Stock Cars and more".

legierk

Veteran Member
Jun 11, 2014
Waskom, TX
Went back reading Mike. Great progress. Going to cut my trans tunnel tomorrow. Not excited about it. Might do it the way you did. I have 1" dropped bushings, so I KNOW I will hit the tunnel. Didn't even consider the thought of having an access panel for future service/inspection/changes. Good thinking. Did you use some seam sealer or silicon under the sheet metal?

Did you ever do the 2 x PCV valve setup? Just curious. You will get better ring seal that way.

Mike Busutil

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2010
Yuma Arizona
Thanks.

Yes I used some RTV silicone to help keep any possible water coming up from the bottom.

I have not done the 2x PCV valves but that's because I have been busy with other parts of the car.

The Camaro has not been wired to run or the fuel line ran from the tank. Now I am at that point I will consider the 2x PCV valves.

Mike Busutil

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2010
Yuma Arizona
New Vintage Air Climate control system is mounted and the lines are ran to the condenser.
i4aFcVZ.jpg

o59k3c3.jpg

nHRUXbx.jpg

7Wf3G5R.jpg

New turn signal switch
5Fwp0c4.jpg

New door locks
yxAJnO3.jpg

New ignition switch
Cas4tC7.jpg

New ignition & keys
D0mTHBQ.jpg