540 Big Block 81 Camaro build

Mike Busutil

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2010
Yuma Arizona
Thank you.

4 working days total to run each wire, install each connector and route them where we wanted them.

We worked on it last Friday & Saturday, then this Friday, Saturday and about an hour Sunday to complete the neutral safety switch.

Mike Busutil

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2010
Yuma Arizona
Getting power to the gauges...

3DrN32q.jpg

p0NYY8S.jpg

ksYorV2.jpg

H2lXIaC.jpg

GCFcF6m.jpg

Tokyo Torquer3

Veteran Member
Oct 14, 2003
NJ
This is one cool build.. didnt catch this thread before. You dont see many '81's going this far. I like the clean nearly stock body look, with all the updated driveline parts.

What diameter are the brake rotors.. Any pics of how you routed the tail pipes around the the DSE rear suspension?

Are yoy going to have to narrow the rear seat to make it fit with the DSE mini tubs?

mike

Mike Busutil

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2010
Yuma Arizona
Tokyo Torquer3 said:
This is one cool build.. didnt catch this thread before. You dont see many '81's going this far. I like the clean nearly stock body look, with all the updated driveline parts.

Thank you. That's also part of the reason I like the 81, not too many people paying attention to them.

Tokyo Torquer3 said:
What diameter are the brake rotors.. Any pics of how you routed the tail pipes around the the DSE rear suspension?

The front and rear brakes are 14" diameter with 6 piston calipers.
The exhaust currently stops short of the rear end, the headers and X-pipe are 3.5" and are too large to fit between the body and rear end.

Tokyo Torquer3 said:
Are yoy going to have to narrow the rear seat to make it fit with the DSE mini tubs?

I will have to modify the rear seat frame a little. This is to clear a little room for the new tubs and the 4-link that comes into the cab at the lower rear of the back seat.
The tubs will also require I modify the plastic rear lower side panels that cover the rear tubs in the back seat.

Last edited:

hendrickson2

Veteran Member
Jul 30, 2011
Eglin AFB, FL
Mike, you guys are doing great work! Love the build and I too agree, that many don't take the late 2nd gens this far, but I too would like to make the exception, although mine won't be as bad ass as this beast!

Dave

Mike Busutil

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2010
Yuma Arizona
hendrickson2 said:
Mike, you guys are doing great work! Love the build and I too agree, that many don't take the late 2nd gens this far, but I too would like to make the exception, although mine won't be as bad ass as this beast!

Dave

Thank you Dave!!

Mike Busutil

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2010
Yuma Arizona
TwinnEngines said:
I just love how you picked the "Big Boy" way to build a car and use a real engine (read- not another LS). Absolutely beautifully done- and done very very well.

Thank you sir!
I completely agree. I love the power and sound of a well built carbureted Big Block V8. It definitely adds character to the Camaro and will stand apart from the rest.