60k mile service question

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by muscl car, Jul 18, 2016.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just got an email reminder from my local Toyota dealer reminding me of my 60k mile service as it is due . Question is I actually have 56k miles on it right now and have only put just over 1600 miles since I bought the truck in late March

I do have some minor issues with idle quality , should I wait another couple months until I do reach 60k or should I have them due the service now ???

2. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

Take it a dealer? Bring your own lube.....

3. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Doing it a little early will not hurt, just make sure they dont try to "flush" your wallet with all the "dealer" recommended services. Stick strictly to what your owners manual says to do and nothing more.
    And yes I work at a dealership... ;)

4. Z27LS3

Z27LS3 Veteran Member

your gonna get replies all over the place. I actually had one of my techs (yes, toyota) do a trans fluid exchange on my wifes 2012 model today because the WS ATF was black, the car has 37k miles . so yeah its really what you need, unfortunately a newer tundra has sealed trans and no dipstick to take a quick check of fluid quality. If it were mine I'd go no more than every 60k on any driveline fluid, diff, t-case ect.....they do get dark and dirty. you can skip the flushes and ask for a "fluid exchange only" FYI. so yeah, if you only do whats in the maint manual the ATF is lifetime, not for me. I had a lady a few months ago who bought a new trans for her 80k sienna van that was 5 or 6 years old, she obeyed the factory maintenance............do what makes sense for you.

5. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You don't have to do it now. These reminders are sent out based on the average miles normally driven. I work at a Toyota dealership and can find out what is done on a 60k service. As far as your transmission fluid goes, your truck uses the Type IV fluid. You do need to change it out more frequently than the the newer models with the WS fluid in them. Your transmission has a dipstick as well as a drain plug on the pan. Rarely do the techs change the filters out because they are the wire mesh filters and just need cleaning with parts cleaner. I'll get the info tomorrow and let you know what they do on the 60k. One more thing, the engine idle problem is usually caused by old plugs. You can take a chance with aftermarket plugs or put the Toyota plugs in it. They are the ones I sell to most of the shops because they know they work best.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016