$68 to ship a box of chocolates and a CD?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by K5JMP, May 11, 2012.

1. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

so I go to Staples to UPS overnight a package to Mom for Mother's Day and they wanted 68 bucks for a 10"x11"x3" package overnight...:eek:

I told them they were smoking crack and walked out...
    gonna try USPS in the AM.

clerks had no friggin' clue. I told them I have shipped a 200 lb transmission to Cali for less...

friggin' crack smokin' monkeys...:confused:

Luv ya Mom... but you raised me smarter than that:)

2. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    I'm thinking FTD ;)

3. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the chocolates are an add-on.. the real gift is this..
    Rock of Ages.. by The Band.

Mom turned me on to The Band when I was a young pup... then Levon Helm passed away a few weeks ago...

check them out if you don't know who they are. the very roots of southern rock dating back to 1959...

http://www.google.com/search?q=the+band+youtube&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLR_en

this vid is from the last waltz, new years eve 1976.. the last concert they ever performed...
    [youtube]11Y987Uf1wY[/youtube]

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  4. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Would have been cheaper if you mailed it earlier. To "overnight" something raises the price dramatically.

5. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Ship from where to where? There are differences in operations at a UPS, FedEx, etc. For example, you live in the same "zone" (ship time determination) as someone you want to ship overnight to. As long as its a normal next day delivery, it never hits the plane; its just transferred in a hub and delivered next day.

By going to a UPS store or a Staples, etc. you're going to pay more for shipping. Its always cheaper to go to the UPS hub. Go to the UPS website and calculate your cost. It only takes a minute or so to give you an approximate cost.

Never worked for UPS......ran distribution centers for large wholesalers, retailers, etc. All were national accounts.

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Seems like they want to rape the customers on a few special days during the year...Mother's day is one of those days.

7. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

The overnight shipping is a killer. I have shipped tons of stuff I sold on Ebay by UPS, and have always used Ground. There is a huge difference in cost.

8. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Overnight is expensive but you have to think of the process. UPS will pick it up, put it on a plane, ship it to a specific location (Louisville) sort it, reship, unload, sort, load the delivery truck and get it to your destination. Do we like to pay that much? Absolutely not!!! But it is quite an operation to get a delivery done next day.

Calculate what it costs for you to deliver something (time, gas, tolls, etc) and factor it against what a UPS, FedEx, USPS charge. Go with the less expensive option....you or them.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

not overnight you didn't. you pay for extra service.

10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Overnight shipping is expensive, and I find that often it doesn't get there overnight anyway. My Wife recently got a FEDEX overnight that took two full days. Then you get some lame excuse about bad weather, or "we can't guarantee overnight to that destination".

I ship my stuff USPS Priority mail. It is very cheap, and it almost always gets there just as fast as USPS Express which costs much more.