$68 to ship a box of chocolates and a CD?

K5JMP

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 19, 2006
MORTUORUM VENATOR - Z.R.T.
so I go to Staples to UPS overnight a package to Mom for Mother's Day and they wanted 68 bucks for a 10"x11"x3" package overnight...:eek:

I told them they were smoking crack and walked out...
gonna try USPS in the AM.

clerks had no friggin' clue. I told them I have shipped a 200 lb transmission to Cali for less...

friggin' crack smokin' monkeys...:confused:

Luv ya Mom... but you raised me smarter than that:)

K5JMP

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 19, 2006
MORTUORUM VENATOR - Z.R.T.
the chocolates are an add-on.. the real gift is this..
Rock of Ages.. by The Band.

Mom turned me on to The Band when I was a young pup... then Levon Helm passed away a few weeks ago...

check them out if you don't know who they are. the very roots of southern rock dating back to 1959...

http://www.google.com/search?q=the+band+youtube&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLR_en

this vid is from the last waltz, new years eve 1976.. the last concert they ever performed...
[youtube]11Y987Uf1wY[/youtube]

Robbie Robertson..
the beginning of the end of the beginning....

Last edited:

Mike N

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 13, 2002
Spencerport, NY.
Would have been cheaper if you mailed it earlier. To "overnight" something raises the price dramatically.

bfmgoalie

Veteran Member
Jun 14, 2008
Gansevoort, New York
K5JMP said:
so I go to Staples to UPS overnight a package to Mom for Mother's Day and they wanted 68 bucks for a 10"x11"x3" package overnight...:eek:

I told them they were smoking crack and walked out...
gonna try USPS in the AM.

clerks had no friggin' clue. I told them I have shipped a 200 lb transmission to Cali for less...

friggin' crack smokin' monkeys...:confused:

Luv ya Mom... but you raised me smarter than that:)

Ship from where to where? There are differences in operations at a UPS, FedEx, etc. For example, you live in the same "zone" (ship time determination) as someone you want to ship overnight to. As long as its a normal next day delivery, it never hits the plane; its just transferred in a hub and delivered next day.

By going to a UPS store or a Staples, etc. you're going to pay more for shipping. Its always cheaper to go to the UPS hub. Go to the UPS website and calculate your cost. It only takes a minute or so to give you an approximate cost.

Never worked for UPS......ran distribution centers for large wholesalers, retailers, etc. All were national accounts.

John Wright

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Rustburg, Va
Seems like they want to rape the customers on a few special days during the year...Mother's day is one of those days.

GREGS396

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 1999
allentown pa
The overnight shipping is a killer. I have shipped tons of stuff I sold on Ebay by UPS, and have always used Ground. There is a huge difference in cost.

bfmgoalie

Veteran Member
Jun 14, 2008
Gansevoort, New York
GREGS396 said:
The overnight shipping is a killer. I have shipped tons of stuff I sold on Ebay by UPS, and have always used Ground. There is a huge difference in cost.

Overnight is expensive but you have to think of the process. UPS will pick it up, put it on a plane, ship it to a specific location (Louisville) sort it, reship, unload, sort, load the delivery truck and get it to your destination. Do we like to pay that much? Absolutely not!!! But it is quite an operation to get a delivery done next day.

Calculate what it costs for you to deliver something (time, gas, tolls, etc) and factor it against what a UPS, FedEx, USPS charge. Go with the less expensive option....you or them.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Overnight shipping is expensive, and I find that often it doesn't get there overnight anyway. My Wife recently got a FEDEX overnight that took two full days. Then you get some lame excuse about bad weather, or "we can't guarantee overnight to that destination".

I ship my stuff USPS Priority mail. It is very cheap, and it almost always gets there just as fast as USPS Express which costs much more.

Latest posts