70-73 Camaro Taillights material

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Piotr Lerski, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Piotr Lerski

Piotr Lerski New Member

Hello.
    I'm going to recondition 70-73 taillights they will need some welding and polishing.
    I couldn't find from what material taillight housings are made? it's ABS, PP? (both black and white versions?)

Second question is: outer lights rings were originally made from stainless steel? or it was steel + chrome?

Thank You
    Regards
    Peter

Attached Files:

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I have a spare one laying here. My magnet says it is magnetic so that should mean it is either chromed steel or lower grade stainless steel. High grades of stainless steel are non-magnetic. The inner rings on the T93 taillights appear to be the same material

3. Piotr Lerski

Piotr Lerski New Member

Hey thank You for Your reply, i have done the same and I know it's either stainless steel or chromed steel as i wrote above;)
    Any clue about housing material?
    Thank You regards

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My guess on the metal is that it is a lower grade of stainless steel as the magnet seems weak to me on this metal. Regular steel should have a stronger magnetic pull. I expect it would be safe to polish, but if you have a spare one somewhere, it might be good practice to work on the spare first.
    As far as the housings, I can't identify plastics.