70-73 Clear side marker lenses

2ndGenJunkie

Veteran Member
May 7, 2013
Charleston, SC
I'm very annoyed by the lack of an aftermarket clear version of the side markers for early 2nd gen Camaros. I think clear looks 1000x better than the amber OEM lenses, and I'm looking into what all it would take to make a reproduction lens in a clear UV resistant resin. I just wanted to see who all might be interested in a set if I'm able to make a good quality reproduction? It's not really worth all the trouble if I only make one set.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
You will get pulled over so fast by Mr Fuzz if you alter to clear because the clear lens will be shooting out a white light which would be distracting, blinding and unsafe. Bad idea. I’m sure that some Co won’t put themselves in making a product and breaking the law. Good luck with that.

2ndGenJunkie

Veteran Member
May 7, 2013
Charleston, SC
You will get pulled over so fast by Mr Fuzz if you alter to clear because the clear lens will be shooting out a white light which would be distracting, blinding and unsafe. Bad idea. I’m sure that some Co won’t put themselves in making a product and breaking the law. Good luck with that.
It won't be shooting out white light if you put an amber bulb in it, which is what I would recommend. There are countless classics with aftermarket clear side markers, other year Camaros, C10s, etc. It's nothing new, just no one currently produces them for the early 2nd gens

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Maybe you could try making a mold and make your own or is it doable on a 3D printer with clear plastic?

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
State laws require amber side markers in the front and red in the rear. I don't know of any states which vary from that.
With an amber bulb, it would project "amber" and may be "legal" but a company producing them would probably need to provide an amber bulb with the lens to cover themselves, legally.

2ndGenJunkie

Veteran Member
May 7, 2013
Charleston, SC
State laws require amber side markers in the front and red in the rear. I don't know of any states which vary from that.
With an amber bulb, it would project "amber" and may be "legal" but a company producing them would probably need to provide an amber bulb with the lens to cover themselves, legally.
I would think including bulbs or stating "for off-road use only" would put any potential liability on the user themselves. Most people that change to clear lenses do it because they prefer the look and aren't afraid of a little potential hassle from a bored cop.

2ndGenJunkie

Veteran Member
May 7, 2013
Charleston, SC
Maybe you could try making a mold and make your own or is it doable on a 3D printer with clear plastic?
That's the plan. I think a mold and then UV resistant resin made for outdoor use is probably the best bet. I was looking into 3D printing but because of the intricate honeycomb style inside layer of the lens and the limited materials most printers can use, I think the resin would hold up better. I haven't found a lot of options for clear ABS filament for 3D printers. Would probably have to go PETG if I went that route. Then there's the issue with getting a good scan of the original to print it in the first place.

BillyDean7173

Psychopathy Red
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
I just wanted to see who all might be interested in a set if I'm able to make a good quality reproduction?
I would buy a couple sets. I've thought about the clear lens before and using an amber bulb for the front and red for the back. Glad to find someone else thinking about it.
I've seen bowtie covers for the side markers on a 1st gen (68 & 69). You can barely see the side marker through the little bowtie cut out. I'm not sure if those are legal and like Twisted said, it could vary from state to state. As far as getting pulled over, having clear side markers are the least of my worries so count me in. :D

72BIGBLOCK

Veteran Member
Feb 2, 2008
SF
Hmm I’d like to see it

it might be a good idea, I saw an 69 with clear lenses on eBay and it looks pretty bad ass so I messaged the seeker but he said that’s how he had bought it

2ndGenJunkie

Veteran Member
May 7, 2013
Charleston, SC
I would buy a couple sets. I've thought about the clear lens before and using an amber bulb for the front and red for the back. Glad to find someone else thinking about it.
I'll keep you guys posted on here. The more I'm looking into this the more I'm realizing it's a bit more complicated of a process than I expected. I'm going to talk to some engineers and see if it's a project I can handle. If or when I am able to make a set, I'll share some pics. I'm a perfectionist so if I can make a set I'm happy with, they will be quality lenses.