70-73 Clear side marker lenses

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 2ndGenJunkie, May 27, 2020.

1. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

From what I've read about other members and their experiences with the manufacturing process, it can be difficult and really expensive. Basically, you're fighting two battles: the process itself and the cost. In some cases, so many parts would have to be sold at a reasonable cost that you 1) lose money, 2) break even, or 3) you can't sell enough parts to even do the first two if that makes sense. With 3D printers, they can help with the process and the cost but it obviously depends on what you are making.

In any case, I'm rooting for you and I certainly expect to pay a pretty high price for some clear lenses. I'm okay with that.

2. 2ndGenJunkie

2ndGenJunkie Member

I'm not thinking about taking on this project as a way to make money. I just really want clear side markers and I'd love to be able to provide them to the 2nd gen community because I know I'm not the only one that hates amber colored lenses. Hopefully I can find a means of production that is not outrageously expensive.

1972_Z-28 and BillyDean7173 like this.
  3. 2ndGenJunkie

2ndGenJunkie Member

So after doing some research, although difficult, I don't think it's something I can't handle. One thing I found out is that the resin used to make the lenses is extremely sensitive to moisture, so it won't be easy to make good batches out here in this humid South Carolina air. I'm moving to the Vegas area in August so I think I'm going to put this project off until after the move since the dry climate there should make this much easier. I'll post updates here as things start to move along.

70-camaro and BillyDean7173 like this.
  4. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Try talking with someone at Trim Parts. They already manufacture reproduction side marker lens for early 2nd gens. Maybe they could look into making a clear lens? They specialize in authentic reproduction parts but it's worth a shot.

https://www.trimparts.com/