70 Camaro Deluxe seat belts Questions

l16pilot

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 13, 2004
Hurlock, MD, USA
Yeah, it is a bit interesting.

Nearest I've been able to determine the the lower dash was "chromed" from 70-72 and in 73 they went to painted edge over a black base.

When I say "chromed" in quotes, I haven't seen any that were a real good, reflective chrome finish, except those that have been rechromed from services like this:

http://gcartrim.com/Camaro.htm#Camaro

i know mine wasn't. The back of mine has the word "bright" next to the part number and the finish on the back is pretty much satin like the front. Might ask COPO for a closeup of his. Hopefully others with well preserved Z28-Z87 interiors can also chime in.

The fact that GM even called it satin seems to reinforce this.

This is different than the edging around the gauge bezel. That does appear on mine as a very reflective chrome and has been observed this way by me on other cars.

Open for comments......
Not really sure Dave. My unrestored 70Z with Z87 doesn't have a highly reflective "chrome" appearance, but I thought that might be just 50 years of aging. Maybe they did have a satin appearance to the chrome applied to plastics?...not sure and asa ou pointed out, even Chevy identified it as satin....hmmm....

atb5144

Jul 4, 2016
Eastern Shore Maryland
Can Someone verify in 1970 Deluxe seat belt buckles Small or Big? Just had my belts done by a restorer and there the Deluxe big buckle, some of the Purists have told me they should be small, I had a 71 Z28 and the buckles were big and in the back small, I know 67 to 69 Deluxe were small. Any help?
So, are the buckles sized the same front/rear? Or do they differ?

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
Both of my 70s had the small buckles from the factory. They were LA built in case that makes a difference. They were original to the car and I bought the cars used in 74 and 76 respectively.

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
I actually don’t remember how they fit but yes both had deluxe interiors and consoles. I remember when I bought this all original 70 z28 in 2020 and the 1st thing I said to myself is those seatbelt buckles are huge! It has the black std interior and black plastic buckles. This car is a norwood car also.

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
I actually don’t remember how they fit but yes both had deluxe interiors and consoles. I remember when I bought this all original 70 z28 in 2020 and the 1st thing I said to myself is those seatbelt buckles are huge! It has the black std interior and black plastic buckles. This car is a norwood car also.
Just so there isn’t any confusion, the Deluxe interior did not automatically get the deluxe buckles. That was an extra cost option above even the Deluxe interior, but I would guess that many folks that optioned the deluxe interior also optioned the deluxe buckles.

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
Just so there isn’t any confusion, the Deluxe interior did not automatically get the deluxe buckles. That was an extra cost option above even the Deluxe interior, but I would guess that many folks that optioned the deluxe interior also optioned the deluxe buckles.
mine both had the small brushed SS buckles so guess they were ordered extra.

Latest posts