70 Camaro fuel sending unit

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by gin man, Mar 23, 2021.

1. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Is there a special tool needed to get the locking ring to engage with the tangs on the tank? I'm not having much luck at the moment.

2. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

I always use a large dull flat bladed screwdriver or a drift punch with an end as wide as the tabs.. The tank collar usually has an expanded end which allows you to get the ring started then tightens down as its locked into place. Just a few taps at each bent up tang should advance the ring. A little at a time keeping the ring centered it shouldn't take much force to lock it into in place. You may need to tap the tabs toward the center to keep the ring centered so it can move easily. Keep the screwdriver down at the base of the tabs so its less likely to bend them. Hope this helps!

3. gin man

Thanks for the advice. It's back go together thanks to a local mechanic. After screwing around with it for 2 days, I gave up and took it to him. It turns out that I was trying to install the locking ring upside down but my excuse is that I wasn't the one that took it apart. I had taken the tank in to have it cleaned out which was where the old sending unit was removed.

4. jurquhart

jurquhart Tin Taxi Gold Member

What process did they use to clean the old tank?

5. gin man

This place looked like it was built around the time automobiles were invented. It had every kind of machine tool you could imagine but also had a huge tank that everything was dunked in. It didn't remove the paint on the tank that I had applied some years ago so I'm guessing it wasn't a caustic solution. I do know I paid an EPA fee which hopefully went to disposing of the old gas in an environmentally friendly way.

TommyRS70 likes this.