70 camaro SBC 350 to 4l60E transmission HELP

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ty's_sky, Feb 15, 2013.

1. ty's_sky

ty's_sky New Member

Ok guys I need a little input. I have a friend who is selling a 4l60E with a standalone controller. The trans is originally out of a 99 trans-am. What will i need to do this swap. I know i will need the cross member and i have a quicksilver shifter that will work with this. I am also aware that i will need to have my drive shaft shortened. The controller comes with it so the computer is not an issue. It has the ls1 torque converter with it. My question is will i need a different flex plate if so anyone in particular and can the ls1 torque converter be used or will i need a different torque converter? Also is there any spacers needed? If someone knows of a kit for this conversion let me know.

2. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Not sure it can be done: perhaps. Your 1970 350 is Gen I block, that died in
    1997 with the LT1. The bolt pattern is different, but I have read there are a
    trick or two to make it "work". You may have to get LT1 TC and flex plate. It
    makes sense at least.

Tom

3. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Bolt pattern is not different. The LS1 and the Gen I SBC have a tapped hole/ missing hole respectivly. The the early Gen I doesnt have a 12'oclock hole *Some later Gen I SBCs do* and the LS1 is missing the 10'oclock hole. The rest are the same. The transmission will physically bolt on.

4. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

OK, correct me if I am wrong, but you first say that the bolt pattern is not
    different and then you go on to explain HOW its different? So its different?

Or not? I read you had to drill a hole.

Tom

5. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

LSx is missing the 2 O'clock hole, not 10 o'clock

6. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Better do some more research, I know when I was going to put a pre-LS transmission (700r4, early 4L60e) on my 2004 motor I had to buy a special spacer for the flywheel/torque convertor to mate up.

I'm not sure what is required (if any) if going "backwards" from the above scenerio (early engine / late tranny)...it may work, but heck it may not work.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1072378-differences-versions-4l60es.html

7. Protour-Camaro

I guess it depends if you are looking from the front or the back :rolleyes:

8. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well if you are looking at the front of the engine you cant see the flange on the back and ALL vehicle related orientation is referenced looking from the rear to the front, 10 O'clock would be misleading to most people

9. Protour-Camaro

I know, you're correct on that. The important thing is the bolt pattern is the same and the knowledge of a missing tapped hole in there.

10. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

EDIT: The answer is NO using stock parts, but it turns out GM Performance makes a special conversion kit for this. See below.

As 1971 CamaroGuy states, it is possible to retrofit an older trans to an LS engine( with an LS-compatible converter) using a spacer and a different flexplate or a re-drilled flexplate. The LS crankshaft is very short, hence the spacer.

However, as far as I can tell, the opposite won't work - a post '98 4L60E with torque converter will hit the back of the SBC crank long before the bellhousing bolts up.

In the following ls1tech post I show pictures of different input shafts so that you can confirm exactly what you have. A 4L60E with a 300mm input shaft will not work, one with a 298mm input shaft might:
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/1612724-trany-gurus-help.html

The 4L60E with the 300mm input shaft also have the 12 O'Clock bolt hole in the bell housing. The bell housing also has a bolt hole at 2 O'Clock, but it is not used with LS engines.

If you are really determined to make this work, it is rumored that a custom converter can be made; not sure how expensive that would be. You could join ls1tech.com (which everyone here with an LS engine really should do), post your question and I will try to find more answers for you.

Ted.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013