70 Deluxe door panels-2 left side ONLY-$500 for both

Discussion in 'Swap Meet Section' started by Toddrod, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Toddrod

Toddrod New Member

Hi Jeff, sorry, I just got back Monday afternoon and yesterday was a busy catchup day. I'm going to try to get out there today and see if I can get to the stuff and sort it out. I'll definitely get back to you.
    On a related note, there have been comments made about door panel restoration on these deluxe panels and others. I heard mixed reviews on Just Dashes, basically that they typically did a good job, but were expensive. I'm okay with expensive as long as the job is good. I gave them a full description of my panels, including pictures, and received an $1800 estimate for full restoration in black. That seemed pretty expensive, but with high expectations i paid $175 to have Fedex pack and ship the panels from Colorado to Van Nuys California. I made several calls to Just Dashes to confirm they had arrived, and could get no response other than an eventual generic email stating it could take 30 days to check them in and confirm. After almost 4 weeks I received a revised estimate. It basically itemized all of the things that you would have to do to any door panel to restore it, but they listed it as added charges, and my estimate was now $2665, and 5 months time. I was in California at the time, about 60 miles from Van Nuys, so I called and emailed them to let them know I would be picking up the door panels. It took 2 days for them to respond by phone and acknowledge I would come on Friday. I drove down there, and it is located in a very seedy area. I was polite, they were polite. The entry to the business consisted of a waiting room, an office, and a bathroom. I could not see the production area other than a little through a doorway, so I can't judge it. The area I did see looked like nothing had been done to it since 1963, and it was not good. I used the bathroom and it was very sad. All I could see was that if this company understood what quality work looks like, as well as good customer service, it would at least be slightly evident in how the business is presented up front. I felt they were attempting to take advantage of me in pricing and were shocked when I declined and came and got them. I explained my analogy if buying a $20 steak, then going out for a $50 steak. Well, if that steak was really good and so was the service and the environment, it was worth it. If you now heard that they were selling a $300 steak down the street, you would have to admit that you can't imagine any steak worth $300. That was my impression of Just Dashes. There is no perfect door panel restoration worth $2665 even if perfect. Their poor communication skills made me concerned as to what response I would get if the panels had an issue when they were done. The condition of their shop made me feel I would be silly to expect my door panels to be perfect, and for that price they needed to be.
    I will post the results of what I actually do. I have them at an upholstery shop in Ventura, CA to see what we can do.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  2. THNDER

THNDER Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just for the record, I have 2 sets of deluxe door panels that were restored by just dashes and I am very happy with them. I can also guarantee you that no one is pickier than me.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Mike,
    Can JD create the imitation rope line just above the window crank handle? When I tried a few years ago they were unable to reproduce it. Maybe they improved? upload_2021-5-19_11-37-17.png

4. Toddrod

Toddrod New Member

So I hope I was just informational in what I said about Just Dashes. I am happy that THNDER was satisfied, although price was not mentioned. As I said, my $1800 quote was a lot, but I sent them in because I was willing. At $2665 I was not willing. If THNDER was happy and paid about $1800, that is what I was hoping for. At $2665 with poor communication, it exceeded my risk-factor warning bells. Plus I feel the way they went about it was "misleading", even if not intentional. The appearance was of the well known, "bait and switch" tactic used in many sales procedures. If they are backed up with work for 6 months, I am apparently in the minority of this judgment, and that's okay too.
    As far as the "imitation rope line" question from 70LT1z28, on the estimate they clearly state "No Fake Stitching", as if that were a bonus. It may be, but it is not correct if it was real stitching. I was okay with that, because real stitching, if done correctly, looks nicer to me even if not correct. It is a difficult door panel to duplicate, and "no fake stitching" is technically a compromise, so what other ones will there be? If I was able to physically inspect THNDER's completed deluxe door panels, I would know how I felt about the end results, regardless of who can be the pickiest. Some of "quality" is fact, some is opinion. As I said in a past posting, there are people that put split bumpers on non-RS front clips. I think it looks stupid and awkward, but I would never say that to a person that did that to their own car and likes it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. Any car of any make that is for fun, is determined by the owner what pleases them, all others are just opinion, even if done rudely.
    When my car is done, there are some that will like it, and some that will not. Any that are rudely critical I would merely say, "Then that is how you should do your car!"
    My comments are always only intended to be informational, and analogies only to help make a point. I am not trying to slander Just Dashes in any way, just relate my single experience. Any business deal such as this should be entered with eyes wide open, and I hope that my bad experience was unique.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

JD sure sounds like a shetchy outfit. If a Company has terrible communication skills then they won’t last IMO, cause people won’t put up with it, I wouldn’t. I would go elsewhere.

6. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Just imagine if they kept the restroom clean...it might take an additional 2 months to get your parts back!. Ha!!!
    Seriously, hope you find the quality and service you are looking for.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  7. Jeff S Schulenburg

Jeff S Schulenburg Striptease

Thanks Todd let me know, I have a Wedding Saturday if I don't reply right away,Thanks Again

8. Toddrod

Toddrod New Member

I'm still digging, I have stuff for several cars, so there's lots of boxes. I found the regulators, I have the spacers that fit on the door panels, I found 1 spring. I have 2 window cranks that I don't know how well they will clean up. I'm pretty sure original had the clear knobs. I have 1 NOS crank in a new box that has a black knob. I need to check the part number. I have the new NOS 1-piece spoiler still in the box. Do you know the exact measurement of the window regulator shaft so I can verify they are correct? They look longer, but I want to be sure. Same with the springs, do you know the correct dimensions? I'm going back out to look more.....

9. Toddrod

Toddrod New Member

I think I have exhausted the possibilities now. Is it proper for us to just email each other directly? I'm a newbie so I don't want to break rules. I know on Ebay it's illegal, but there's money involved to Ebay.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member