70 LT1 FT Camshaft Options

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by clm69z28, Jul 28, 2021.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don’t really care cause I don’t drink whiskey. All I know is when I eat corn I sh!t corn.

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Oh yes you most certainly can. And you can distill shine from the mash.

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Well COPO, this is a coincidence, I'm building a custom carb & spacer for a 383 this Saturday that is scheduled to be broken in and tested, built by my partner. The customer wants to use Shell 91 V-Power as that's what he can by locally, so just got back from the Shell station. Put 10 bucks into the car to drain the hose, and another 10$ into a perfectly clean dry Fuel jug.

Looks like 2- 2.5% Ethanol content. Did the test twice, we will use the Petro Can as well, I'll retest, last time the Ultra 94 it was 8.9%. There's power in Ethanol if you know how. But I agree, don't like ethanol in my lawn equipment either, but use it exclusively in the Camaro, Dyno shows the HP, and we do SG tests as well.

I need to hit my marks out of the box not to waste dyno time, therefore I tested the shell 91 V-Power.

The 383 is close to 11:1 CR so I need all the help I can get, FT pistons with stock EQ 305 Vortec Iron heads with little 1.86 int valve, nice "rowdy" solid FT cam and open plenum Speedmaster intake and my custom built "650" carb.

Wonder what this little basic street stroker will put out for numbers?.

Anybody want to guess.

I heard that the Shell V-Power is getting up to 10% Ethanol in the very near future, heard it's already out West.

Shell 91 V-Power.jpg

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

I noticed at a Canadian Tire pump tonight, their "Supreme" option 91 octane said "no ethanol" right in the description on the pump, while third-grade said up to 5% and 87 said up to 10%.

I've mentioned this before, and G72Zed and I have talked about it on the phone, but my 383 at 10.1:1 works great on UPI 93 that does have ethanol in it. I've tried 2 different high test options that advertised as no ethanol and got a slight bit of knock and run-on at shut down.

G72Zed likes this.
  5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I test the fuel at the pumps the racers use, no guessing that way, and you see pretty quickly if there are changes.

I will be testing the 91 Premium Shell V-Power from another station to see if I get the same results.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If this is true at all the Shell pumps then it’s false advertising and we should get a rebate.

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  8. Harris48cars

Harris48cars Member

Talked with Comp Cams tech guy for at least a half hour today. This guy was interested in my questions spent most of the time talking drivability, sound, maintenance or lack of it. Certainly recommends the roller and felt like the CC #12-443-8 would be exactly what I’m looking for. Gave me his extension and said he would be glad to discuss his recommendation with my engine builder. Having said all that, my car is numbers matching. I probably will stick with what the Z came with. I should mention that CC has just come out with a new lifter. It’s call the revolution. I think that’s what he call it. Sort of a hybrid (my words not his). Increases the rpm range of his recommended cam from 6100 to 6500. Aggressive sound also

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

The joys of working nightshift doing property checks is getting to talk to all manner of people at 3am. I've spoken with more than a few truck drivers filling tanks in the early hours, and at least up here in the boonies where I live, most of the fuel stations get their fuel from the same generic truck.
    I have absolutely no faith that any of the major brands are selling us what they say we are getting.