70 RS SS Restoration Jumping Point

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jays2k70rss, May 21, 2021.

1. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

Hi.. my father's first car. driven for about 10 yrs then has been garaged since around 1985 after it went nose first into a small tree while attempting to tow it out of the driveway. in any case, finally have saved up enough (sounds like its never enough! but i'll try to stick to that saving/budget amount) and now have some time to begin the restoration.
    I'm still in the planning/research phase. Looking to keep it fully stock right now and no plans to ever sell it and to keep it in the family.
    Mechanically I believe i can do most of the work.. its body and paint where i will need to outsource.
    That said, body and paint wise i am running into these two constant questions in my head:
    1) any reputable shops in the tri state area ( i am right outside of manhattan NY) that can take care of the body work and paint
    2) if i have to buy after market (esp sheet metal pieces), who has the best quality/fitment. I believe my biggest concern is with the front end (nose, upper header/lower valence) as it will need to be replaced due to the tree incident. i'm sure more will come up as i look deeper and get a shop to look at it.

Just a quick intro and breakdown of what i'm looking at. Any insight/information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

I was reading a post ( body-restoration-estimate.335346) last night.. and it made start thinking of "is it worth it". from this posting, an estimate for body work for around $15k.. seems alot of people were questioning spending that much. not sure if meant that specific year or just to do body restoration in general.. not having any body/paint knowledge at all, i kind of expected to spend about that (honestly didn't know what to expect). just trying to get an idea of what to expect when i talk to my first shop.

3. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

just some pics of what i'm working with.. sorry about the pics. don't know why some are upside down

Attached Files:

4. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

Don't forget you are talking about NY dollars so that's probably 10K in the south :)

5. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

I've seen far worse projects, you have a solid foundation IMO

Bills69 likes this.
  6. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

That is my take as well. I’m gonna try to get it out of the garage and just clean it up so I can see what it really looks like. Do what I can and hopefully find a shop that can do a nice job fitting everything

7. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

so went to one shop to talk fully body restoration.. metal work (fenders,trunk floor, etc) and paint. $40k. sounds like a lot.. but i can see a lot of man hours being put into it. Does this seem about right? I"m in NY, so maybe its more around here? idk.. any suggestions and opinions? i still have a couple more places to check out but would love any recommendations. doing it myself is definitely not an option. i don't have the know how, the tools nor the space for that type of job.

8. DougD

DougD Veteran Member

Strikes me a touch high even in NY dollars. But it is also highly dependent on what that shop puts out.

9. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

i thought it was also, but i really had no baseline to go by. it pretty much eats my budget. thankfully i wasn't planning on any type of Resto-mod right now, so whatever mechanical work hopefully won't be too pricey.
    the guy said he was probably a little higher than others, but he believes his workmanship and quality paint supply he uses really speaks for itself. The work that i've seen done looks to be really good. i've seen some pics and one in the shop at the time. i'm hoping to get to a cpl more shops so i can have some basis of comparison. i was really hoping to get some recommended shops, but it seems maybe many don't like to throw those opinions out there.
    doug, thanks for you input so far.

10. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

With regards to the 40k price. After I saw that thread where he quoted he thought 15k was high. I was thinking, I’d be all in for $15k. I was expecting $20k ish and having another 10-15k for anything else I needed. I thought the $35k budget I had would get me restored.. guess I really am less knowledgeable on these costs than I thought I was!