70 RS SS Restoration Jumping Point

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jays2k70rss, May 21, 2021.

1. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

This is probably crazy. But buying a rust free base RS (non ss) for $20k just to get all the parts I need ie sheet metal, bumpers, interior stuff like center console, liners etc. it’s says “numbers matching”. Just seems like when I tried to price out some original metal, just front fenders and upper header and lower valence was already coming close to $4k. My other question is using all gm metal, does would that make my restoration “numbers matching”? It wasn’t my original intention but if I could I would.
    Is this crazy to think I can just start unbolting things and swapping it right on?

2. stafs05

stafs05 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great project all original, and your father's is priceless obviously. In my opinion.
    1. 1970 has so many 1 year only items, it's just crazy.
    2. If you start swapping items out for items such as: engines transmission try to keep them to retain the originality. Or sell them to finance your build.
    Its only original once. It's so nice to have an all original Camaro, that's so rare. I have spent 3 years collecting items for my SS Camaro. I wish you the best with your project.
    And if you have any questions, there are so many members here with so much knowledge. They will help make your project easier.

3. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

Thanks. I totally underestimated the task. So much more thinking and prep. In my mind when I finally decided I’m gonna start this project , I was thinking okay I’ll get this done by yr end.. now that I started, I’ve hit so many snags. Personal time. Finding a shop. Where to go for parts. How original. So many things that keep making take a step back to think about what to do and how to do it! So I’ve been doing tiny things like cleaning up the wheels and cleaning things up. Makes me feel like I’m actually getting something done! Lol. I think actually seeing how quickly the cost added up and how much more this possibly is than I estimated has intimidated me a little also. So I’ve slowed a little bit still determine to get this done somehow! Members have been a great help. Thanks

4. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

Been taking my time but I think I’ve cleaned this one up as much as I can. Not close to a professional reconditioning but it’ll do for now. Before after and Onto the next one

Attached Files:

5. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks good, and like you mentioned, a bunch of small steps, gets you closer to complete

jays2k70rss likes this.
  6. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

What are your thoughts on fuel tank.. should it just be replaced or can I empty it, clean it out and it should be fine? I’m thinking lines should just be replaced tho

7. stafs05

Your in good hands on with people watching, and these members here to help. So to give you some hope. Its taking me 3 years to get to your starting point. I have a lot of the important original parts engine, Transmission and 12 bolt. RS front end items you find them, just be patient. These items will come up for sale. I will keep in mind, what items you are looking for. As a matter a fact I'm going to ask for pictures of the engine compartment. Since your SS is original.

And its your Dads Camaro. That's great.
    Join facebook there a couple of 1970 thru 1973 groups to join. These groups have sale items.

8. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

jays2k70rss likes this.
  9. jays2k70rss

jays2k70rss Member

Thanks Dave. Im definitely going to change lines and sending unit. I just need to figure out which line to buy. Seems to be two options. I think I need the single line as I don’t believe I have a return line.

10. stafs05

I believe that the SS small block had a return fuel line. If you want, I have an extra one. Which is stainless steel. You can have it.