70 RS Z28 on bat

Discussion in 'Auctions and Online Sales' started by bodymanbill, Aug 8, 2021.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The last year 660 was used was 1970. Both are correct for 70. I would stay clear of that car. ;)

2. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not sure what to make of this. As mentioned the engine stamp font is just plain wrong. The gauges appear to crisp to be original and and appear to be new or have been refaced along with the incorrect 7K tach, plus the cluster bezel does not have the wiper/washer text below the wiper switch, the drivers fender and the story of the seller replacing it because of a ding don't really make much sense. But then again, neither does pulling and repainting the rear end due "minor" stone pings. Replaced the sill plates due to scuffage....? , at 11,000 miles ? The fan shroud with "caution" which the seller states was with the car in 1971 along with the space saver spare..., as far as I've ever understood, the caution fan embossment didn't even appear till late 78 early 79..., Puffy seats..., Window cranks with black knobs, later model black rearview mirror ?

--

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

FWIW the drivers inner fender is from a 73 or later car. Not sure how that fits into the fender replacement due to ding story. Seems a bit extreme to replace the inner fender along with the fender due to a ding. Maybe a big ding?

4. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

That whole car is a lie. I bet the guy selling got burned and now getting rid of the hot potato with the same story he got took with.

carr911, bodymanbill and COPO like this.
  5. clm69z28

clm69z28 Veteran Member

I wonder why the seller decided to represent the car as an original 11k mileage car with long term ownership history, and has nothing to prove it with; no sales documents or registrations as evidence just invites this kind of negative response. He only washed it 5 times, another anecdotal piece of information that proves nothing. He should have just rep'd it as a nicely restored car with a mix of original and aftermarket parts, and skip all of the one-of-none nonsense.

It begs the question- why does a car with that low of mileage need to have everything redone? The paint, interior-including the gauge cluster and all of the upholstery- the engine compartment has numerous repro parts including the smog and manifolds, even the air cleaner looks like a repro. How does the windshield washer pump need to be replaced? The MC is not original, along with all of the original exhaust. The engine stamp just adds to the questionable originality of the car, but the TT looks good, so what did this car look like at some point in it's life?

All of this just doesn't pass the smell test.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Where it's at (41K) is all the money. No need for owner to lie or make up stories about the car, or have nothing to back these stories up. I had a legit offer for 4K less than that, and my car's a mutt. Bet the bidding may have gone higher if he hadn't misrepresented it and invited all the criticism.

7. mamunro

mamunro Member

I have never commented on a vehicle for sale on BAT prior to this car one. After reviewing the storyline and photos
    I felt I had to ask some questions. Obviously they were not well received, right down to the seller's reply to my questions, paraphrasing, "I bet you can't afford my car anyway". And then the sycophants joined the seller by saying, "no knitpickers/nitpickers, bid or move on". Whaaaaat!?! My father used to say, ignorance is bliss. I guess he was right.

"My cousin's boyfriend's brother had one of these back in the day...." is about the only commentary acceptable to the seller.

bodymanbill and McCune like this.
  8. baron602

baron602 Veteran Member

I don't post because of all the bullies. NOW I have to say THANK YOU to the reviewers that know their stuff and take the time and abuse to HELP those willing to learn. I was lucky enough (worked hard) to buy a 70.5 RS/Z28 new and drove it through High School and college before selling. Then I bought another in the Mid 80's totally original and took it to car shows for 15 years and quit due to all the know it all's telling me it was not original. I sold it cheap to someone who I knew would appreciate and maintain it. Hard to find the truth so just listen (if it makes sense).
    Again THANK YOU for the help and knowledge.

9. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

“This Z/28 is now offered with an owner’s manual, two keys...”. Uh...ok, that’s nice.
    I’m not even close to being an expert on any car, but whenever I see an ad that’s full of fluff (BS) it screams run away! If the car is all that the seller claims it is then post an honest, descriptive ad and let the car stand on it’s own merits. This one doesn’t pass the smell test...

10. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

BAT does some of the wording on those ads, so don't get hung up on sentences like that. They have been doing so many modern cars, that stuff matters, so they just keep assuming it matters