70 RS Z28 on bat

Discussion in 'Auctions and Online Sales' started by bodymanbill, Aug 8, 2021.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

All shumks should be vaporized.

2. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

I just can’t believe BAT excepted this car with a reserve over 80k, I know a friend of mine wanted to list a couple cars on there and they gave him a hard time about his reserve so he listed them elsewhere.

3. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm actually leaning the other way on the possibility. Maybe indeed the winner wasn't part of this, but still winning 6 auctions in the past 18 months is like buying 1 car every 3 months ( unless they didn't meet reserve ), but for the 2nd highest bidder to have won 33 auctions ? This is more likely 33 times the auction didn't have someone bidding high enough to shill....,

--

4. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

I believe on BAT of it lists a winner then it met reserve

5. Cman

Cman Member

Smokin' Joe,

Are you suggesting the guy won 33 auctions and didn't complete the sales? I think BAT would have 33 angry sellers and his account would be shut down. The number doesn't signal anything to me other than he might be a dealer or collector.

6. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not necessarily. If the seller/bidder were in cahoots, it would simply end up as a no-sale. But you are correct, I have no knowledge of anything sinister, it was just a pondering. Perhaps it is a collector but it does sound like a lot of auctions to win. Nonetheless, $80,000 for that car is way out of line with reality.

--

7. clm69z28

clm69z28 Veteran Member

These two bidders aren’t very bright bidding on an obviously forged car, or they’re in on it. Why else would a dealer bid way over market for a car?

8. Cman

Cman Member

I dont know if the guy is a dealer or not, just thinking about why he won 33 auctions on BAT. I do know collectors with more than 33 cars tho. I also know a handful of dealers who have developed a deep clientele and those clients trust them to source cars. They buy them, sell them, lease them, trade them back and sell them again. A dealer like this can sell the same car several times over. Perhaps he had a client where he could make a quick 10K or wanted it for his "pool". They deal in high-end cars. An $80k Camaro, if it's nice enough (and this one was pretty nice) would be at the low end of the scale. There were several watchers and bidders who thought it would go even higher. Some clients don't care much about money, they have more than they can spend. It's about convenience, time, and ego.
    The good news for y'all who have nice Camaros is that our cars are getting some overdue respect.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  9. xten

xten Veteran Member

I know a local guy with a lot of money. Owns a private jet, a mountain, fantastic house on a mountaintop, and a huge garage. Over a million in his 1/8 mile long heated driveway alone. I grew up with a broker he uses. Broker asks what he wants in a particular car and finds it for him. He likes muscle and exotics. Broker asks what's important to him, and it's usually options and colors, not matching numbers. He paid 150K for a blue 69 RS Z and brought it down for me to look at after buying it. Owner was very happy. I like the guy, and didn't have the heart to just hand him a laundry list of what was wrong with it.
    Point being, I couldn't even guess what makes a person happy that has more money that I could even imagine. Using a broker one would not be exposed to, nor care about the BS stories of a seller. It would be "find me the car and I will pay you". This is the sort of thing that's driving prices up, and not helping average people acquire their dream car.

10. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

344BF7F9-CFF2-4234-B988-790573C9E63E.png So looks like it sold after the auction ended.