'70 Z-28 Manual Steering

Dave Nelson

Veteran Member
Dec 19, 2003
Vineland N.J USA
Don't know the percentage of Z/28's ordered with manual steering, but I ordered mine with it. I remember my father telling me I should order power steering, but I didn't because I had plans to race the car hence the Turbo 400 and 4:10 gear.
PICT0429.JPG
PICT0429.JPG

70 Six Banger

Nov 2, 2019
Wow Dave...what an awesome car for a young kid to have purchased new...and the fact you've hung onto it is even more impressive.

I had a '70 Boss 302 when I was 18 in Iowa in 1976 and street raced it extensively (including against a silver '70 Z...I won't tell you who won yet). I will post a couple of photos on here in a day or two (got to dig the Kodak photos up...Warning: not great photo quality :screwup:).

70 Six Banger

Nov 2, 2019
Dave, I cleaned the heck out of the bottom of the Pittman Arm on my '70 6-banger and I can now report that the length center-hole to center-hole is exactly 5.8 inches (so, basically an inch shorter than the '70 Z's Pittman Arm). Its GM part # is 3964851.
DSCF4204.JPG

Last edited:

my1970rs

Nov 17, 2010
Missouri
IMG_1627[1].JPG
IMG_1628[1].JPG
Wow Dave...that's the exact '70 Z28 manual steering box and Pittman Arm that is now basically unobtanium...thanks for posting it! I can now see that my steering box was cast on the 90th day of 1970 (see photo from my first posting in this thread). When I pull my steering box apart for cleaning I will see if there are any GM numbers or ratio numbers cast into the gears. I wonder what percentage of '70 Zs had manual steering...any way to determine that?

I appreciate the level of research you put into your posts...thanks.
I have a manual steering gear box with the numbers posted by DLC70, including the pitman arm. It has been disassembled, cleaned and the housing was powder coated and then reassembled with new seals. It's in very good condition. I was going to use it on my 70 and changed my mind and I'm doing power steering via a Hydratec hydroboost setup. What is this manual box worth? It's 6.2 turns lock to lock.

Last edited:

FlaJunkie

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 24, 2001
Rockledge, Florida
I'm reopening this topic because it has the broad heading "'70 Z-28 Manual Steering".
I'm having my box rebuilt locally and wondered what experiences you guys have had with this. Is there a "rebuild" kit for our Saginaw boxes?