70 Z-28 Stripes

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by wccvette, May 16, 2006.

1. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

As one of the Camaros at Carlisle LEGENDS 2nd Gen Judges, this is a perplexing issue. On the one hand we have the ONLY assy manual showing what is normally seen on all the 1970 Norwood Z-28's. On the other hand we are shown a variety of L.A. painted deviations (from the assy manual).

Frank Arone shows us how his L.A. Z has rear stripes closer together than the 9", stripes that end before the rear window moldings, stripes that go all the way to bottom of spoiler and not curve horizontally.

Paul Jezek sent me pics (Paul, PLEASE post these in thread for everyone) of a 1970 Car Life magazine showing a new 70 Z with MFG license plates. This car was for media testing and has rear stripes that appear closer together (almost touching Z-28 emblem) than 9" as shown in assy manual (4 1/2" off center line).

As a judge I personally would like to see RESTORED 70+ Z-28's follow the assy manual. However if YOU can show Original pics and/or documentation of YOUR restoration showing misc deviations, then I cant see the Carlisle judges deducting points IF stripes are as accurate as YOUR car was as new....

I would sure like to SEE more L.A. Original Paint Z-28's !!!!!!!!!!

2. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Pictures

Here is some pictures I found.

z01a.jpeg

z11a.jpeg

z05a.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  3. Hotrodpaul

Hotrodpaul Veteran Member

As Chuck said, these pics are from a May 1970 issue of Car Life, showing LA built Z-28 stripes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below are some stripe dimensions from Paul D's Original Paint 70 LA Built Z-28

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice how the rear stripes are 6" apart instead of the 9" shown in the assembly manual.

Paul

4. citrusz

citrusz Veteran Member

Picture of my original paint unrestored survivor Van Nuys built 1970 Z28. Notice the strips on the spoiler go straight down to the end. The strips on the trunk lid under the spoiler stop half way on the trunk lid. I can only conclude that different cars were made on different days by different people in the same plant. This car was built the first week of April. The plant was probably rushing to make cars and had no time to mask round corners on the spoiler.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A Stripe tail...

There is the possibility that your stripes were added by the dealer.

I have a Norwood car and the stripes matched the assembly instructions. I saw several California Z28s in Monterey in 1972 and don't recall a stripe difference.

The stripes stopping an inch from the window could be a misinterpretation of the drawing. If you look closely, it looks like the stripes stop an inch from the window - but the stopping point is probably the trim line. It makes no sense to stop the stripes one inch from the window.

This would not be the only possible mistake in assembly. My original glove box would not lock properly. When I examined it closely, the washer was placed incorrectly, allowing the whole locked mechanism to turn! I checked this against a friends Z28 and his was the same way! When you properly place the washer, the locked mechanism stays firm. I'm sure there are other assembly mistakes.

I would agree that any restoration should put the stripes on according to the assembly manual...the way the Norwood Camaros were striped.

6. citrusz

citrusz Veteran Member

Sorry, but I have disagree with that statement. Concourse restorations do not included correcting factory mistake of this nature.

7. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

PAUL J, Where did you get the "L.A. Stripe Dimensions" as changed in those assy manual pics above" Are those specs youve added based on your experience or ?????. NOT arguing here with anybody.........just trying to come up with MORE conclusive evidence.
    Can anybody show a ORIGINAL paint 70 LA Z-28 with Norwood correct stripes. We need/want to learn if this deviation was throughout the entire 1970 LA build year of just during part of it????????
    Please post some build dates along with your LA narrow stripes pictures or statements.

8. Hotrodpaul

Hotrodpaul Veteran Member

I had Paul D measure the stripes on his original paint LA built Z. Strangely, they very closely match my 70 LA built Z-28 that was repainted in 1984.

Original Stripes from his 06D built LA Z:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  9. citrusz

citrusz Veteran Member

If you look close to the assembly drawing it was revised on 05/05/70. What the change was is uncertain, but if it was dimensional that might explain why Pauls 06/70 build has the Norwood type stripe and my 04/70 build has the straight stripes.

10. unrestored72Z

unrestored72Z Veteran Member

I have a car craft magazine from march of 1970....a 70Z is on the cover...with a few pics inside....the pic on the cover shows the rear and the stripes...the pics inside shows two hoods....u guys decide what it all means....notice the aftermarket dish mags...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008