70 Z28 - Are these smog tubes any good

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by COPO, Mar 9, 2010.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

He doesn't sell pipes that screw into the manifold. I need to call Early Birds in Toronto and I know of http://www.classicperformance.us/products.html who is a Canadian Distributor. When we buy from the US we get dinged on taxes, duties, brokerage fees etc and it just gets too expensive to get it to our door.
    So much for free trade.

2. Z20AINT

Z20AINT Veteran Member

FYI, Anodized parts are aluminum only. Those tubes are most likely Yellow Zinc (Zinc Dichromate) as they are steel. :)

3. COPO

If their aluminum then it would twist to rat poo when you go and screw the valve on. So I'd say their steel with the plating like the brake booster has.

4. COPO

Well I sent 2 emails out this am to 2 Canadian suppliers with no answer. Hmm, and I sometimes wonder why some loose their business in Canada. I guess I'll try calling tomorrow.

5. COPO

Got my pipes from Early Birds. Thanks Mario. I'll be selling my 73-74 pipe from GM part # 330508.

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

^ how much, i have the set on my car but are rusty

7. COPO

For 1 side or both? Not sure yet. PM me and make me an offer. The drivers side is for 70-72 the pass side is 73-74.

8. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

I just lobe'em off and run a good set of headers. If you're in ontario I believe you can get away with it (as well as not running cat's, and other various exhaust emission stuff), so long as the engine has been changed from the original....or so I've been told by a couple of various gm mechanics. Sort of a by-law sort of rule. I've done it and car was passed for general inspection,...mind you I'm in the northern part of the province where smog tests do not exist, so that might have something to do with it.

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

i think his point is he wants them (for originality)

10. COPO

In Southern Ontario, their stopping guys. Mine are going back on even though I'd rather leave them off. I just don't want the fine. I've read on the Web Site that the fine can range from 350-500 dollars. Just need to clean mine up since it's been off for 25 yrs. I really didn't expect I'd be ever be putting my smog back on after my enigine was rebuilt in '85. I drove it for 4 yrs with the smog on when I bought the car in '81.

This is from the Ministry of the Environment.
    The Vehicle Emissions and Enforcement program officers perform random vehicle inspections across the province on vehicles of all ages to ensure that emission components that were originally installed on the vehicle by the manufacturer are present and functioning while the vehicle is being operated. If an inspection reveals that emission components are missing or not connected the vehicle owner/operator is required to repair the vehicle. Officers use a range of tools to bring about compliance with these requirements, including verbal warnings, written notices (violation notices), tickets, orders and plate seizures. The selection of the appropriate tool depends on the nature and severity of the violation as well as compliance history.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010