70 Z28 - Are these smog tubes any good

1981zapper

Veteran Member
Apr 28, 2009
Great White North
COPO said:
In Southern Ontario, their stopping guys. Mine are going back on even though I'd rather leave them off. I just don't want the fine. I've read on the Web Site that the fine can range from 350-500 dollars. Just need to clean mine up since it's been off for 25 yrs. I really didn't expect I'd be ever be putting my smog back on after my enigine was rebuilt in '85. I drove it for 4 yrs with the smog on when I bought the car in '81.

This is from the Ministry of the Environment.
The Vehicle Emissions and Enforcement program officers perform random vehicle inspections across the province on vehicles of all ages to ensure that emission components that were originally installed on the vehicle by the manufacturer are present and functioning while the vehicle is being operated. If an inspection reveals that emission components are missing or not connected the vehicle owner/operator is required to repair the vehicle. Officers use a range of tools to bring about compliance with these requirements, including verbal warnings, written notices (violation notices), tickets, orders and plate seizures. The selection of the appropriate tool depends on the nature and severity of the violation as well as compliance history.

Thats Crazy!!, Looks like there trying to be like California here,

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
It's nothing but a money grab, just like our Drive Clean tests for 1998 and newer. http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driveclean/

Thank god my 87 Grand National is exempt.

My REPO AIR Tubes

AIR%20tubes%203.JPG

Last edited:

DoTheDew

Veteran Member
Mar 2, 2010
Leduc, Alberta
Ouch, that kinda stinks. I'd still look into the exemptions though, and they are out there, just find the fine print, print it off and keep it in your dash just in case. Kinda curious on a roadside checks, how would they know what proper equipment came on what car for every year, there must be a million different combinations. Do they have books to reference, or just go by the sticker on the rad support? I got off having to put cat's on my truck because it was over X weight limit, even though it actually wasn't (put some weight in the box when it was weighed). It would have also been exempt due to an engine change. I dunno, for all the trouble, I think its worth doing the legwork to get out of it. How many people have smog equipment on there but not working properly, or at all? It would really suck to go through all the resto, not have it work, get checked and then fined anyways.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Don't think they test to see if it works. Just that it's on. And I'm glad you asked how do they know what should be on the car. They have built a database and if you car is not on the list then they call GM Vintage Group in Oshawa and they send them the papers/diagrams to their PC in their car.:eek: Yes sir, they gotcha by the nuts.

2821.jpg

Last edited:

Eric winkel

Mar 3, 2021
Just picked up a set of smog tubes that unfortunately were blasted, is painting them with Eastwood gray my only option? Could have at least masked off the check valves
Screenshot_20210326-201349_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20210326-201732_eBay.jpg

Latest posts