70 Z28 Clock to Oil Pressure Gauge Swap

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Tony P, May 26, 2020.

1. 73RATTYZ28

73RATTYZ28 Veteran Member

The reverse oil pressure gauge from Camaro central is odd. My brain Just couldn’t Deal with it. Daniel told me it was a discounted version he built for them. I swapped it out for the regular sweep in the ammeter spot that you can get from him if you ask. Direct fit and gets rid of the potential fire hazard. Mine fried out years and melted both wires. He also rebuilt my clock for Much less than the price of a new OER clock. I now have every gauge on my dash working and got rid of the all too common Auto meter pod in the console cubby and really cleaned up interior. Even put led dash lights so I can see the gauges at night.

2. twestrup

twestrup Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I had him put a voltmeter in my cluster and get rid of the ammeter for the same reason. I replaced the clock with the oil gauge. If you swapped out the ammeter for an oil gauge but kept the clock, what gauge did you get rid of? Temp, fuel, or (I assume) volts? There's only room for three small gauges and the clock or am I missing something?

4. 73RATTYZ28

I don’t have a volt meter so I have fuel and oil pressure on the left and temp and clock on the right

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Sorry to the OP if I have moved this too far from the original topic, but has anyone had a concern with running the oil line into the interior? I had a friend that had the nylon line break on his Corvette (it was 50 years old!) and it made a hell of a mess. Been thinking a gauge isolator may be better? Install the isolator in the engine compartment and run the air side of the line through the firewall into the interior?

https://plastomatic.com/ggme-details.html

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My Stewart Warner nylon oil line has been fine and I installed it in 1981 in T with the OEM sender and away from the heat. The vacuum gauge line is also good. Maybe Stewart Warner used a heavier gauge nylon. No problems here.

7. 73RATTYZ28

Daniels gauges are electric so no worries there.

8. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

I have used the C-10 mechanical gauge since about 1987, yes, the hole in the lens bothers me, but a gauge is much more helpful than the idiot light. I do use both, the light and the gauge. The car sits for long periods, so I crank the engine over until the idiot light goes out, then turn on the fuel pump and start the engine! I say go for it! You can find used truck gauges and NOS truck gauges for less than the cost indicated for the oil pressure gauge above. I used the clock delete plate to mount the gauge.

9. Bob Schadlick

Bob Schadlick New Member

Are those 712 door panels available to buy and also the wood grain shifter plate?

10. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

Any members who are going to change to oil pressure form Amp gauge or clock, do not buy Camaro central's version. It is crap. It is not their fault, but company making them. The more expensive one is much better. I sent back the one from Camaro central.
    John.