70 Z28 RS - Complete Restoration

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by av8r1965, Nov 6, 2018.

1. av8r1965

av8r1965 Member

thank you

2. av8r1965

av8r1965 Member

thanks!

3. av8r1965

av8r1965 Member

They are gloss my friend.... they are under 5 layers of high gloss clear coat along with the Hugger Orange

biendog likes this.
  4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Photos just don’t show it. Maybe I just have bad eyes at 102 yrs old.

5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

What did you use to reattach the chrome bezels to the lights? I was thinking of running a small bead of urethane.

6. av8r1965

av8r1965 Member

Sorry for the delay.... I glued them back on with several small drops of the new Gorilla Glue 5-min epoxy. Urethane would work well and even a good clear silicone would work well.... the only reason I used the epoxy is I was able to use only several small drop, which ended with absolutely zero excess running out .... zero mess.

giggity likes this.
  7. av8r1965

av8r1965 Member

Well here is a little more progress. All the light lenses in and the bumpers on. Getting the lights centered in the body panels perfectly was nothing short of surgery.... the rear panel is aftermarket (was replaced due to rust) and the taillight buckets are aftermarket (they were old and cracked), so getting the factory taillights centered in the panels with the new seals and buckets took a lot of time and patience. The front panels are factory, so getting the front park lamps and headlights centered was a little less effort. The bumpers and bumper guards were sent off to Paul's Chrome for straightening and re-chroming, and turned out VERY NICE! The bumperettes went on perfectly. The quarter panels were fit to the car with the rear bumper installed, so there were very little issues getting the rear bumper lined up. For those of you who have Z28's or cars with the back bumper guards, you know they never fit the contour of the bumper very good... so I welded up, ground, welded up some more, and ground some more until I had the gap between the bumper and guards fitting nicely before I sent them off for chrome. So far I'm pleased with how things are going together. I ordered a complete set of wires (every single wire harness) from "Lectric Limited", and I must say I'm very very pleased with the quality of the harnesses and the service and knowledge of the folks at Lectric Limited... and the price of $1,200 for everything is fair in my opinion.
    left front.jpg left rear.jpg rear.jpg right front.jpg right rear.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    roadrace2, biendog, xten and 3 others like this.
  8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That’s real nice, I like it, especially the RS.

9. av8r1965

av8r1965 Member

It's been a bit since I've posted any progress, been working on seats, seat tracks, and the heater box.... which are major projects in themselves. Here are some pics of the front seats: They were really crusty and rusty... took then all apart, de-scaled them in citric acid, sandblasted, and powder coated the frames. The seatback latches were in pretty bad shape too... disassembled the latches, de-scaled in citric acid, primed/painted them. The seats are now getting ready for upholstery at Mike's Custom Upholstery. The heater box is nearly done, I'll post pics of it soon. IMG_0179.JPG IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0711.JPG IMG_0715.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0718.JPG IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0720.JPG IMG_0721.JPG

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    biendog, giggity and G72Zed like this.
  10. biendog

biendog Veteran Member

What an intense build,I enjoy following,great job.