$7000 down the drain! beware of Exhaust shop in.....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Michaels, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Michaels

Michaels Member

Last year I paid to have my 305 pulled out and a 350 dropped in. he said this engine was a good runner and he heard it running. he had my car for three months. he wiped a couple cams and who knows what else. called me up a said your car is ready come get it.
    when I pulled up it was running and the hood was open, he said drive with the heater on it gets hot. i went home and when i parked on my driveway i noticed a lot of fluid dripping on my driveway. after some research he didn't put a breather on the valve cover. oil dipstick pushed out. oil everywhere.

The oil pressure was zero after 20 min!

Engine knocking

Lifter noise

i have since brought my car to a shop that knows what there doing and check out what the parts look like after removal.

Im wondering if i should go talk to this guy and show him the parts and see if he will give me some money back before I expose him on the internet or give him a honest horrible review on google?

what would you do?

nothing violent, Im 40 and have kids. what comes around goes around.

Attached Files:

2. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Wow man. Sorry that happened to you. That sucks big time. That motor is trashed and I would most certainly go talk with him calmly with pictures above and more and see if he makes it right. For that kind of money I would go further if he isn't willing to be accountable. It would have been nice to see what condition that 350 was in before he put it in your car and wiped a couple cams. If he doesn't know how to break in cams and is a business and did all that, I certainly would never let him work on the car again.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your situation, obviously this "mechanic" didn't know a piston from a petunia. Yes I would have a "serious" talk with him and see how he explains the condition of the parts you show him.

KingofThings and Zstar like this.
  4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

But don't get your hopes up he'll do the right thing. These guys never do. The whole "it runs a little hot" before you left with it is the tell tale sign to me. He know it was jacked and just hoped you wouldn't come back. Sorry to hear it..

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I wonder if he even changed the oil after wiping those cams. That's some pretty severe damage, need a full rebuild or a crate engine replacement. We just got rooked on an electric bike and really PO'd about that, doesn't compare to your screw job.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Start documenting and preserving any communications and paper documentation. You’re going to need it. $$7k should have bought You a new gm crate Engine and install. The fact that he grossly overcharged you is a huge red flag. If you’re lucky you can get him admit the engine was advertised as good in texts so you have a record in court.

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

If you go the court route, make sure every step you take from this point on is what a reasonable, logical person would do. That is the language that the courts speak.
    • You have gone to a competent mechanic, excellent first step. See if he is willing to give you a written statement regarding his findings, with the possibility that he may have to testify in court.
    • As rosster mentioned above, document everything. Courts look favorably on comprehensive, contemporaneous notes, and you will be able to refer to them in court.
    • Go see the Turkey who did this you, tell him what has happened, make a reasonable ask for compensation and if he does right, good for him (and you). Again make notes on everything you say and his responses.
    • When he doesnt make things right, track down people who may have a similar experience with him, and get statements, names, dates, situation etc.
    • Google review is a good idea at this point, as you will likely get others responding with their experience with him. Keep it civil and factual.
    • Go see a decent civil lawyer and get a consultation. When he sees the homework and notes you have, he will want to kiss you right on the mouth. Makes their work in court way easier.
    Good luck man! Sorry this happened. Something good will come out of it.

KingofThings and Rosster like this.
  8. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

I’m guessing a lawyer doesn’t see enough of a payday to make it of Any interest. Remember, That doesn’t mean your case is weak Just that winning An award won’t be worth his time.You can go the small claims route As cost is minimal and limits in most states are normall $10-15k.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can win the court case easier then you can collect. The judgement is the starting line not the finish.

10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

That's the problem, yeah.

KingofThings likes this.