$7000 down the drain! beware of Exhaust shop in.....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Michaels, Sep 9, 2020.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Wow $7K! I would have installed a brand new crate 350 for you for less.

2. TTR230

TTR230 Member

Im willing to bet it wasn't going to be $7k at the beginning. I went through something like this many moons ago on a 4runner. The cost was going to be the cost, but then it's always something else. It needs this, and that's worn out, might as well do it while the engine is out! Lots of stuff could have been done as well, but it's all down the toilet if the car won't start.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

You could replace the whole engine bay and still be under $7K. When talking about a modern/fuel injected car with sensors...I can see the cost add up. Not a for a old school SBC swap.

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't think constantly telling the OP he made a mistake is very helpful. Like someone mentioned in a previous reply we've all been there on something.

5. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

I’d agree. My comment was to inform him that the price charged was too much so he has another arrow in his arsenal when talking to the guy since I hadn’t seen anyone mention this. More of the same isn’t that productive. Getting the current mechanic’s estimate for the work should make it clear to the mechanic that he was significantly overcharged for the work.

6. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

So sorry that this happened to you man, stories like this is what gives us Mechanics a bad rap.
    Only if you live close by... I would gladly donate some of my time to help you out.

7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Sounds like a case of fraud to me. Whatever you decide, hang in there and don't let it ruin your passion for the hobby. I would guess that more than a few of us here have been burned at one time or another. The important thing is to learn from it so that you don't make the same mistake twice. You may also want to talk with any local members here if you need such services in the future. They may know of some good, reputable places.

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  8. TTR230

TTR230 Member

Op, where are you located?

9. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

My neighbor just built a house/barn and hired a fly by night contractor that never built a house before. All the good contractors were booked up. The cement floor is so rough and bumpy you would trip and fall down if you don't watch where you are walking. Some people just have no shame in ripping people off. It sure sucks that you found a wrench turner that doesn't have a clue what he is doing. I hope you sue.

10. Michaels

Michaels Member

thanks guys for chiming in. the total work cost me 7000 but the motor he found was only 1500. plus this and that, the studs on the heads pulled so we put aluminum heads on there and he wiped a cam and probably did not change the oil even though it should of been pulled and hot tanked at that point.
    I live in Mississauga Ontario Canada and found a mechanic that is helping me big time with this.

but im sure soon i will tell all you who this guy shortly.

cheers!

need-for-speed likes this.