$7000 down the drain! beware of Exhaust shop in.....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Michaels, Sep 9, 2020.

1. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

There seems to be an element missing here. Back in 2017 I had the engine go on my well cared for 2007 Impala with 184,000 Klms. I replaced it with a used 3.9 litre engine with about 70000 klms from a wreck. The engine had to be shipped in from 300 klms away to have it installed in my car. Paying GM dealer shop rates, they had partially disassembled my old engine to determine it was f**ked, shipped the engine, R&R the engine and "all in' (shipping, labour, miscellaneous, engine cost, sales tax,etc) it cost me 4500 bucks. And remember that's paying dealership labour rates. It ran like a charm, BTW. How did there get to be 5500 bucks over and above the cost of the 1500 engine?

This guy sounds like a total crook and likely inflated the cost as he went along. I think you should take this guy to court.

2. ruthlessz28

ruthlessz28 Veteran Member

I am the same why can't stand to out source anything, everytime I do it bites me in the a$$

3. Rcflanagan

Rcflanagan New Member

Not to be an ass but the $7,000 for a used 350 and an install should be the first red flag. Did he change the cam? If not very doubtful that he wiped a lobe unless he cranked the valves way too tight, but by the sound of things i wouldn't think he would touch the valves if he didn't have too.

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Pretty much the way I've felt since I was a young guy. I'd rather screw it up myself rather than pay someone else to screw it up.

John Wright likes this.
  5. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

Present the information in the photos and if he won't return your funds, you can use social media to bring attention to his reputation and hopefully motivate him to make things right.

6. hutchenstein

hutchenstein New Member

7. Patstuff28

Patstuff28 Member

I also live in Mississauga, Ontario. I don’t think our American friends realize that we pay at least twice as much for performance parts. You should get yourself a good paralegal and take this guy to small claims court to get some money back.

8. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

is it the shipping that hoses the prices or greedy vendors?

9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Sounds a lot like the guy I helped this week. He paid 10K for some so called 496 with aluminum heads, when I put my magnet on them it stuck, didn't know aluminum did that. Car had the engine stuck in by another shop for $1700 more and then they told him he needed an 850 as the 650 was too small for his application. Guy bought my 1000hp and then they could not tune it, I guess when the shop does not realize the fuel pump does not pump fuel it's too hard to tune an engine. Funny thing is they have a 5 star rating by everyone, who bots?? I hate seeing people get ripped off.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

The parts themselves are priced higher here in Canada. Sometimes double. And to buy something from the states is ridiculous. Exchange, shipping duty and brokerage fees easily more than double the price of parts.