700r4 Build

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 79supergasdriver, Dec 4, 2013.

1. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver A Scholar and a Gentleman

Hello all,

I'm stuck with a 700r4 from an '84 Chevy for my '79 Camaro build. From what I've gathered reading through search results, here's how I plan to proceed:

1. Acquire a driveshaft from a mid-80's S10 Blazer and get the proper U-joint installed
    QUESTION: What exact years/models of Blazer should I look for?

2. Acquire a crossmember from bow tie overdrives

Retain original driveshaft and crossmember so I have options when the 700r4 explodes

3. Acquire a non-lockup converter so I don't have to mess with wiring.

4. Get the tranny overhauled for reliability/peace of mind. Beyond a routine refresh, what things should I do to assure this thing will hold up on the track? I'm putting it in a 3100 lb car with street tires, behind a SBC 406 targeting 550 HP/hoping for 12.70-13.00 sec range. I intend to use it full-manual, standard shift pattern without kickdown/detent like my previous TH350.
    QUESTION: With a full-manual valve body, do I need to worry about shift kits/governor mods/servo mods/etc?
    QUESTION: With a full-manual valve body, do I need the TV cable?

5. I have the B&M Megashifter installed, easy to convert for 4-spd. Needs a new boot and position indicator window
    QUESTION: The only manual valve bodies I see are reverse shift pattern; will the B&M console Megashifter work with reverse pattern?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. bigblockbird75

bigblockbird75 Veteran Member

I'm not 100% on the years, but I think anywhere from 82-88 might have a 700 in it.

The wiring to run a lock up converter isn't that difficult, if it's going to be a cruiser, but since you're talking about a manual valve body, I assume it's not.

You won't need the TV cable with a manual valve body. The manual valve body pretty much eliminates the function of the governor. It may come with clips to lock out the weights, or it may have you remove it. As far as I know there aren't any servo mods needed.

There are forward pattern valve bodies out there, but you have to really look for them. I still can't understand why the reverse pattern is so popular. I've used both and the forward pattern just seems more fluid and natural.
    If you don't have any luck finding one, TransGo makes a shift kit that gives you full manual control and they're a hell of a lot cheaper than a body. I've heard good things about them. I put one in my 400 but I'm still working on the engine so I don't have any real world result yet.

3. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Im surprised that the TV cable isn't needed for a manual valve body. I am assuming the manual unit holds the line pressure at max and that's why you don't need the TV? If so, look for added pump parts wear in your future. If the valve body doesn't hold the line pressure up, you will need to run the TV or the bands and clutches will lead a very short life.
    As far as the converter goes, depending on how much you have to spend, get a reputable trans/converter shop to build one matched to your setup. Just like camshafts, the converter needs to work well with the other parts of the build to give the best results.

4. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    The 700r4 was never a strong transmission, even when new. The factory made a number of improvements over the years, deciding in 1987 that they had fixed all the issues they were going to. The 700 was introduced in 1982 so your 84 is one of the earlier ones and I would guess that if it hasn't seen any fixes since, it isn't going to be the best candidate for a trans that sees track time.

Take a look at Jake's site, the 700 was superseded by the 4L60 but they are essentially the same. Good luck.

www.jakesperformance.com

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

I agree, an 84 isn't one I would build. They didn't have an aux. valve body an probably has a 27 spline in put/ out put shaft. The 87 on up were more gooder, preferable a 89-91 yr. model. To be blunt don't put any money into an 84, they will not live long. Maybe it would be OK behind a low powered V6 but not a V8 with some horses in it. Just get a more better year. I have an 87 700r4 in my 78 with a lot of up grades & I love it. I think you would be missing out without the OD also.

6. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

A lot of people run and like the 700. For me, Im not a big fan of the low 1st gear. It had a purpose when GM designed it. It was to crutch the low torque output of the new standard for the time, the mighty V6 !! LOL. Im suprised that GM stayed with the same gear set when they electrified the trans (4L60E), especially when they started making power again with the later LT1s and LS1s. They did get the gearing back to V8 standards with the 4L80s and with the 6spds , they can go everywhere with the gearing now and not live with the huge RPM drop from 1st to 2nd.
    I will stay with the little 2004R, at least until I build something that makes over 700HP, then it will be straight to the 4L80E.

7. larrylarry

There are things on that 84 you should keep, if your using a cable drive speedo and not a electric speedo then take the cable style speedo put of the tail housing, you'll need it. The plastic different colored gears on it might not be right for your rear end gearing but you'll need the rest of it. And take the governor out also, might need the weights on it. You don't need to buy a cross member you can reuse the TH350 cross member, you'll have to drill some new hole s an move it back some. You can use a drive shaft from a 90's Mustang that had a V8 in it along with conversion U- joints & a rebalance.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  8. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver A Scholar and a Gentleman

I appreciate all the input. I understand the early 700's aren't ideal for racing and hard street use, but due to a long and complicated set of circumstances, I'm STUCK WITH IT as stated in the original post. So I'll run it until it blows up and move on-hence why I don't want to cut up my original driveshaft and crossmember. I'll probably need them again sooner than later. I was hoping for some "make sure the rebuilder puts in a hardened whatever and adjusts the whathaveyou so it'll survive" information.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  9. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    www.jakesperformance.com/4L60E.html

Jake doesn't have a detailed write-up on the 4L60 (newer version of the 700-R4) but lists the upgraded parts he uses in various performance level builds. I would use the parts list as a guide to look at what areas of the trans internals need improvement. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  10. larrylarry

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/700rs-limitations-46168-2.html
    Here is a link that will give you all the performance up grades for a 700r4. You can also go to transmission - rearend then look for 700r4 low pressures then you could read all 6 pages or just go to page 6. I added some info on there also. There's a lot of good info. on there from people who know 700r4's. I did most of this to my 700.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013