700R4 drive shaft length 79Z

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by BlauZed, Apr 7, 2020.

1. BlauZed

BlauZed Member

I've read on line (so its gotta be true!) that a driveshaft from a 94 and up Blazer 2wd 2dr, is the right fit, and can be used for a 700R4 transmission in a 79 Z28. Does anyone here have experience with that? Different yokes? I havent measured anything yet, hell the engine and transmission is not in my car right now. But I may have access to a 2002 Blazer 2wd 2dr driveshaft, what do ya'll think? anybody? Thx hope ya'll are staying safe out there.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it's 45.5" long from center-to-center of the U-joints. It will work, lengthwise.
    (A factory TH350 Driveshaft is 48.5" long and the 700R4 transmission is three inches longer so your original can be shortened 3".)

You might need a conversion u-joint at the rear to match the pinion yoke if your using the Blazer driveshaft.

3. BlauZed

BlauZed Member

Thanks for the info, seeing as how I dont even have a driveshaft, I think this might be the way to go. Appreciate it.

4. frank5s

frank5s Veteran Member

Some Mustang driveshaft are the right length, 45.5 center to center 1996 to 2004.
    But always measure