700r4 rebuild attempt

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Dennis Wilkie, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Dennis Wilkie

Dennis Wilkie Veteran Member

Well, apparently the kit came with the wrong size extension housing bushing and seal. So now i've got to order them and wait another week for it to get here....good times

2. Dennis Wilkie

But in the meantime....

3. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Good job. If you still need to replace the (two) rings on the back of the pump (stator), leave them off while measuring the front end play. Makes the job easier and you won't damage them.
    And air check the servo from underside of the case.

4. Dennis Wilkie

Ok...so, i've got everything back inside the bellhousing and the pump torqued to 18 ft lbs. Now i'm about to put the check balls and gaskets on, and the manual is saying not to put the bigger one back in, but doesn't specify why. I circled all of the check balls and circled the bigger one in red. Also, I keep being told there are supposed to be 7, and I only have 6, and i'm positive that's how many were there when I opened it up. Unless they're referring to the recessed ball that didn't come out, there's not a 7th ball.

Attached Files:

5. Dennis Wilkie

Also, these 3 never came out of the valve body, and that gasket has been there the whole time. I've got the 2 gaskets on both sides of the steel plate, and there are 2 more gaskets in the kit. I assume they're for a 4L60e

Attached Files:

6. Dennis Wilkie

Just got it and the new torque converter back in last night. Still waiting on the transfer case gasket I ordered, and the new intake manifold to get here before i'll get to try it out. As soon as I finish up the tbi to carb swap, i'll post another update

Attached Files: