70ss dog dish wheel covers

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Me_n_my_z, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Me_n_my_z

Me_n_my_z Veteran Member

Does anyone repop the 70ss Dog dish wheel covers???
    Ive been looking but cant seem to find the smooth ones with the Chevy Emblems stamped in them. I know finding a complete original set in good condition would be almost impossible..

2. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

On 2nd gen Camaro's they really were not dog dish style caps like the ones used on 1st gen Camaro's. The 2nd gens used what I call a baby moon. They were the standard hub cap used on all Camaro's except the Z28, not just the SS. I've seen the baby moon caps W/Chevy bowtie for sale many times on eBay, used and NOS. If you're patient you will find them.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  3. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

4. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I see people asking crazy prices for NOS sets on eBay but I've purchased NOS sets of 4 for less than $200 on a couple of occasions.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  5. Me_n_my_z

Me_n_my_z Veteran Member

I know a set of NOS would be the best option, Im just not paying 500 bucks for them :eek: . Ive just been looking for a repop set that are of good quality.

My Camaro has 17s on it now, I just want a more original look. Considering a new set of 14 inch tires are going to cost me about 500 bucks, plus sandblasting and painting the wheels. Another 500 for poverty caps just seems steep, just trying to find a more cost friendly route.....

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I don't believe anybody is making reproductions, so that leaves you trying to find NOS ones, or old original ones that are beat up and showing their age. They are stainless steel, so if you found old ones in fair shape, you could probably find someone who can remove small dents and polish them again to remove wear so they look good again.

These caps were used on early 70s Camaros, Novas, and Chevelles, so they aren't really rare. If you have a nearby junkyard that hasn't been totally picked over, spend some time there looking. You might get lucky and find some decent ones.

7. SH74OUR

SH74OUR Veteran Member

I think any car pretty much looks really cool with steel wheels and dog dish or baby moon caps, especially American muscle cars!

It's quite rare to see any second gen F body anymore with dog dish or baby moon caps.

I know this isn't original but Mr. Gasket makes a set of 10-1/8" baby moon style poverty caps that look very close to the originals, minus the chevy bowtie stamped in the centre.

PN# 4580 and not having the Chevrolet bowtie might be a deal breaker for some.

Maybe you could find or have small blue or red vinyl decals made up and place them in the centre. Just an idea for you or someone else to consider.

8. Me_n_my_z

Me_n_my_z Veteran Member

Thanx Guys...

I saw the Mr Gasket ones, and that may be an option. I kinda want the Chevy emblem on it but I guess Next week Ill drop the wheels off to get blasted and Ill keep hunting....

I do love this site....

9. SH74OUR

SH74OUR Veteran Member

Yes and I feel the same too. They just wouldn't look right without the stamped Chevy Bowtie in the middle. A small lable or decal would look ok but obvously wouldn't be correct.

It's funny to think at one time these things were so easy to come by. I bet people have thrown them out in the thousands along with Kelsey hayes stamped steel wheels :(

10. Me_n_my_z

Me_n_my_z Veteran Member

Huh....

I was searching again about the baby moons or poverty caps. I couldn't find a decent set before when I was looking so I went with the SS396 Chevelle wheels from Wheel Vintiques. I really like the way it looks but Im back to looking for the poverty caps again. I guess Im bored. Here the Camaro with the SS wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]