70zrs barrett jackson

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by ren70z, Apr 14, 2018.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

The wording on the listing here:
    http://www.hendrickperformance.com/detail-1970-chevrolet-camaro_z_28-used-16988500.html
    is very interesting. "Mr. MacNeish indicated in his Camaro Hi-Performance, Inc. Appraisal that the engine block is correct for the 1970 Z/28 Camaro, however, the engine pad has been machined and re-stamped with new numbers. " Really? If the numbers were machined off, than how can you tell that the block was correct for a 70 Z28? Because the stamps they chose are the correct letters? Did he verify the VIN was for a 70z? Just because it is an '010 block? Could have just as well said "engine block is correct for a 1975 C10 pickup truck".

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Sometimes people have deep pockets and don't really care about how original or matching numbers. They just like the car. Wish I had that kind of money!!!

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Further on in the photos in the link i posted is the MacNeish report in detail. Maybe I'm picky and I hate to critique other peoples cars, but for 88k not even close to a good resto. None of the drivetrain is original. Besides whats already been stated here, the alternator, fan, balancer and many other details are missing or wrong. I don't think the GM COPO center is the place to go for correct restorations.

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Conclusion..............
    1) Attractive 70 R/S Z28 that someone without any knowledge really fell for

2) MacNeish Paper once again influenced buyer

3) Bullshit fact on GM COPO Center

4) Paint and overall "look" must be VERY GOOD along with
    the R/S and Custom Interior Options

I'm thinking this was just another B/J "thing" on this particular Camaro
    that you cant really compare with other Z28's and other sales as it just
    doesnt jive....................WOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Zstar likes this.
  5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Amazing car, and the Hendrick's ownership didn't hurt either I'd guess. Several questionable items on the car for sure, but that auction sure has some surprises, high and low. $30k would be a good buy and sell for that. I suspect the current GM COPO center is at Hendricks shop?

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

I think of this as good news for any 2nd gen owner. Like it or not, there were at least two people with a lot of cash in that room that wanted it bad. I think these cars are grossly undervalued compared to some of the other cars of that era.

Zstar, Dave Nelson and 70lt1z28 like this.
  7. biendog

biendog Veteran Member

Sounds to me like two guys used to getting whatever the hell they want went to war over this car and it got personal.Ego's got in the mix and the biggest one won.One of them walked away smiling,just not sure which one. I agree with xten 100% by the way.

Zstar likes this.
  8. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Dishonesty is everywhere in our culture and too often, it is rewarded. Same goes for this hobby.

I found a great core for mine. Cast dates are perfect, but seller is firm at $2995 for a worn out long block- if suffix code implied LT1, I’m sure he would publish it. Likely a truck motor since 4-bolt main. No secret why he’s holding out. Matching heads as well, so he’ll probably get it from someone who intends to stamp it.

The cars are collectable either way. I get the emphasis on vin matching, but the huge disparity in value attracts the cockroaches.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  9. 70COPO

70COPO Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

I looked the Z28 that sold for $88K over in person. Car presented very well. For a guy that had money the color and presentation was sure to scratch the itch.

10. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Phil, Please take five minutes and educate "us" on what YOU saw and what impressed
    you......Look somebody just paid $95K for a 70 R/S Z that doesnt even have the born with eng
    and 72 taillights (so were told)

What do I have to do to make my 73 R/S complete resto "present well"