71 Camaro Doors

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Dcmusch, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

Will later model second gen door fit my 71? I need a passenger door, its at the paint shop and cant be saved. Previous owner did a killer bondo cover up and epoxy primered it. Didnt catch it until the car was stripped down.

2. Double J

Double J Veteran Member

Yes it will fit, their are internal structural safety differences (crash bar) but outward appearance is the same.

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Welcom to the fun. I put 77 doors on my 70 and the strikers didn't line up with the door latch. I bought a pair of 71 doors from my uncle in Arizona and problem solved. Also the interior door handles are different and you would have to use the newer handles. Screw holes were different for mounting the interior door panels. This all can be corrected by drilling new holes and if you want to use your 71 door handles you can cut out the area of door handle mounts and well in new. I have heard of guys cutting out and moving the strikers and rewelding in too. You may be better off to reskin them.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the shell can be saved... Reskinning is a good option to consider.

5. Custom 68

Custom 68 New Member

I am new to all this second gen but I ended up with a "newer" door that the lower part about 3 or 4 inches from the bottom was different? My 71 has lower doors that have a body line the one I ended up with did not. Was this a Firebird door I ended up with or what was different?
    Thanks
    Dave

6. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Must be a Firebird door. You being in Texas you may be able to find a nice door within a couple hundred miles.

7. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

My paint guy said the skin would work at first too, nows he's telling me he wants to find good original door. I just think they are gonna be hard to come by.

8. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I have 76 doors on my 71..worked fine. You can see them in my build thread

Don't blame your body guy not wanting to use a door skin, pain in the ass to install and get to look right, and even installed those doors edges will still need to be re-worked, maybe even more so with skins