71, Dash Indicators for Turn Signal,..Not Working

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Redliner, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Redliner

Redliner Member

I'm slowly getting a 71 project ready for the road. My latest gremlin is, I can't get the dash indicators for the turn signals to work. I changed out the old bulbs with the called-for 194's but no luck. The exterior turn signal lights work perfectly. The rest of my dash lights seem to be working fine.

Any ideas?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It could be a number of things. The 194 bulbs with their wire bases can easily have bent wires that don't sit firmly in the sockets. Make sure the wires are straight to fit the sockets. It could also be bad sockets, or traces on the printed circuit that power the lights.

3. Redliner

Redliner Member

Thanks Gary,..I'll try to move sockets back and forth (working bulbs & sockets to non-working positions) to see if your theory is a winner.

If not, should I replace the printed circuit part? Thanks again.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't replace the printed circuit without first measuring the paths with a meter.

5. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Also verify the bulb does work while in the twist socket. I know years ago on my 68 Chevy II Nova I had a very hard to access instrument panel light and got the socket out and grabbed a bulb I had already and for some reason tested it before I put it in and the darn thing was already burnt out. I would have been very mad if I had not tested it and gotten it in place only to have to do the work again changing out the bulb and getting to it.

I wonder if it's possible too, that just one side of the turn signal indicator circuit in the dash lost a ground ?. I've seen some instrument panels have screws going through the flexible circuit board in more than one spot and then the whole panel grounded with a dedicated ground wire.

Be gentle doing things around the flexible circuit board.

Jim

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The sockets get corrosion inside them AND where they contact the printed circuit.
    Pull the sockets and clean them up then test them with a trickle charge before you re-install.